FORUMS: list search recent posts

8x GPU Performance?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremiah Belt
8x GPU Performance?
on Aug 25, 2012 at 3:10:32 am

I am almost finished with my workstation build and have three GTX 680 4GB cards, one GUI and two for GPUs. They are running hot and debating spreading them out a bit for cooling, but then the GPU cards will drop from PCIE 3.0 16x to 8x. How adversely will this effect performance?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: 8x GPU Performance?
on Aug 25, 2012 at 4:04:43 am

Considering four x16 gpus sharing a single x16 slot on the host systems with cubix don't seem to hinder performance much, I would think you'd be ok. But despite meaning to I haven't tested it myself. Please try it out and let us know!

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Aug 25, 2012 at 4:35:11 am

Thx Juan. Good point about the cubix. I hadn't thought about it that way. It's a lot of re-cabling but I may try it this weekend. Thx.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Aug 25, 2012 at 7:34:45 am

If you have to choose, try to keep the GUI card in the x16, and put the CUDA cards in x8.

Juan - it's not the total bandwidth which matters, it's the bandwidth when Resolve needs to use the GPUs. So, running 4 GPUs in a shared x16 slot is not the same as running 4 GPUs in x4 slots each, you will lose some performance. It depends on what resolution images you are working on, and what sort of processing you are doing, so difficult to quantity. For HD images, you'll see very little loss in performance sharing the bandwidth.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Aug 25, 2012 at 7:53:19 am

I also think if you go full 5k and material is processed in rgb then band with is really key.

As with mac pro 2007 and 2010. Internal data bust speed difference is really big.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Aug 25, 2012 at 4:30:14 pm

Thanks Rohit. If I move my cards that's the plan, keep the GUI in 16x and the CUDAs in 8x. The problem is I have everything in 16x right now but my Areca raid card won't fit because it hits the north ridge heatsink on the motherboard. So I have a choice....sell the raid card and find a shorter smaller one, or move the cards out of their preferred slots.

My primary clients have both an Epic and Scarlet camera, so I will be working in 4-5K all the time and other clients have often asked for 4K deliveries. Am I going to run into performance issues with the CUDAs in 8x and should I just sell the raid card?

Return to posts index

Jeremiah Belt
on Aug 25, 2012 at 5:59:11 pm

Is it worth selling the Areca 1882xi 4GB SAS Raid card to keep all three GPUs in 16x?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]