FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 way too responsive

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Harris
3 way too responsive
on Aug 23, 2012 at 11:35:54 pm

I always hated how sensitive the 3 way color wheels were with a muse in resolve when grading prores files. I just downloaded a raw file from the new BMD camera and it is way better. Is there any way to change the sensitivity of the color wheels when using prores and a mouse?

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
Re: 3 way too responsive
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:32:53 am

Hi Matt,

What kind of ProRes files give you trouble? Are they Log-C or are you adding a LUT at some point in the chain?

I believe that since Resolve is applying the changes to a fully decoded RGB image, and that there wouldn't be a difference based on the source media. But there would be a big difference if you color before vs. after a LUT.

Cheers,

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:57:33 am

No Luts applied. I barley have to move the highlight wheel before I get a huge color cast! I have no idea why it does this.

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:58:32 am

Also, its just a ProRess 422 file convert from 5dmkii footage in final cut.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:13:52 am

Sure you are using V 9 ?
In 8 I agree, but 9 is totally smooth

A slice of color...

DaVinci 9b3 OSX 10.8
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:17:32 am

Yea its v9. Is there not a setting for the sensitivity. I couldn't believe how much easier it was with the DNG file. I could push the wheels about halfway before it really started to alter drastically.

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Aug 24, 2012 at 7:10:32 am

Heres an example of a neutral image and then a heavy color cast from minimal adjustment to the highlights. This is a prores 422 file from FCP :

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:25:33 pm

well with out seeing your scopes - the sky is all highlights and you have made a push ( not a huge one but a push none the less. Perceptually, I've always found that highlight corrections are more "sensitive" to slight adjustments

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion
An Editors Guide To Adobe Premiere Pro

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Aug 24, 2012 at 7:35:10 pm

Same thing happens in the midtones. My point is I can take a scene from a DNG raw file and push it way further before this strong of a cast happens. It feels much better and I'd love to grade that way. Thats the one thing I like about colorist plugin vs resolve.

Return to posts index

Ernest Ratliff
on Aug 24, 2012 at 8:47:18 pm

That seems like a pretty big movement to me, you should see a rather pronounced color cast on any footage if you move it that far towards one color. I just replicated the same values from your picture with the BMCC sample DNG, and it has a very noticeable color cast.

If the wheels are too sensitive while using a mouse, maybe try doing all your adjustments with the primaries, I think it's easier to have fine grained adjustments using those with the mouse, though they are slower than the wheels.

Return to posts index

Matt Harris
on Aug 25, 2012 at 10:49:34 am

Thanks ernest. I realize if you replicate the values, then it will be the same. But did replicating those values put your ball on the 3 way that close to the center?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]