FORUMS: list search recent posts

EXR Playback

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Martin
EXR Playback
on Aug 23, 2012 at 5:45:51 am

I have 1920x1080 exr files with a single node dailies grade on some VFX shots. Playback for a VFX review is only getting me about 20 fps playback. With DPX frames at same res I'd get realtime 24 fps.

've seen older posts relative to v8 where hitting realtime playback of exr files is difficult to achieve. Curious to know if anyone is able to get get realtime playback either on v8 or v9 with exr files. If so curious to know what platform and configuration being run.

Cheers, Chris

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: EXR Playback
on Aug 23, 2012 at 6:51:10 am

Hi Chris,

Could you please provide your hardware specs, OS details, GPU details, and storage specs?

Also, you don't mention which version of Resolve are you using?

We are able to get 48fps of HD playback in RT with 16-bit uncompressed OpenEXR files.

Regards,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 23, 2012 at 8:11:42 am

I also would guess the problem is not the hardware but the flavor of EXR used.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Jimmy Christensen
on Aug 24, 2012 at 10:02:42 am

Make sure that they are compressed with "ZIP16" (also refered to as ZIP). "ZIP Scanline" is default in many compositing programs (also refered to as ZIPS). There should not be much difference in file size it's just wether or not it's compressed 16 lines at a time or single lines. However since Davinci is limited in the amount of threads it uses when it's decoded it gets a huge performance hit when using Zip scanline.

B44 is another option, however that is loss compressed (in theory).

We're using ZIP16 and get great performance with even 2.5k.

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Aug 28, 2012 at 3:56:10 pm

Hey All,

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the tardy response.

We're running v8.2 on a MacPro 4.1 Quad 2.66, 24GB memory with GT120/Quadro 4000. Fast external fibre drives.

Any recommends on hardware improvements or software upgrades to get realtime PB?

Cheers, Chris

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Aug 28, 2012 at 4:28:31 pm

I'm sure Rohit will have more to add, but a few things that jump out to me about your config.

[Chris Martin] "v8.2"

You don't mention os, but v9 does have better performance... though there are other issues.

[Chris Martin] "MacPro 4.1 Quad 2.66"
This is a single processor config? With one RAM riser... I'm assuming 2x8GB module and 2x4gb modules. This doesn't give you the triple channel memory config that is best for resolve performance.

[Chris Martin] "24GB memory"

You really benefit tremendously from a MacPro with a dual CPU and either 6x4gb or 6x8gb RAM configs, that gives you support for a triple channel memory config which will speed up your performance.

[Chris Martin] "GT120/Quadro 4000."

This is probably not the root cause of your problem, but the Q4000 is a very weak card compared to the GTX580/570 or on 10.8 the GTX680.

[Chris Martin] "Fast external fibre drives"

"Fast" is a subjective measure, I've seen FC config barely getting 200MB/s and some that easily get 1200... if you're on the lower end of that range 16bit EXRs are going to be a problem. Also a factor is the file system you're using.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]