FORUMS: list search recent posts

resolve 9: wave still doesn't trigger GUI

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Winter
resolve 9: wave still doesn't trigger GUI
on Aug 22, 2012 at 10:45:57 am

dear blackmagic!

today i updated to the current beta build of davinci 9. still figuring out the keyboard shortcuts
and remapping all my external devices (g13, trackpad, ipad). but hey, new software, new interface,
that's ok for me. (and there is still the option to use the old shortcuts)

quite frustrating i do find the fact that davinci still doesn't jump to the contextual GUI if
i press e.g. the input-sizing button on the wave. this way i always have to use the mouse
and click on the blur icon to see the values i am changing! i really was hoping that this would
change with the new version - as it is a real pain in the a... and programming-wise this can't be
that difficult, can it? perhaps this has just a low priority for blackmagic, but it would be a real
timesaver for us wave-users...

the new features i really do appreciate so far (audio rendering etc.), so don't get me wrong,
love what you've achieved with the davinci software :)

regards
andy

any wave users out there wanna join this request!?

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
Re: resolve 9: wave still doesn't trigger GUI
on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:37:56 am

another thing:
just found out that the menu labels aren't "labelled unique"! that's a problem if you are
in snow leo and you want to customize the shortcuts via system preferences!

eg:
Mark>Keyframe Timeline Mode>All
but also
Color>Render Cache>All

now i can't access the Timeline Mode via shortcut :(

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 22, 2012 at 11:41:46 am

And this is the moment where you start to value the big panel...

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Aug 22, 2012 at 7:15:49 pm

[Sascha Haber] "And this is the moment where you start to value the big panel..."

30K for a panel that only works on a software that now it's free for the masses? No thanks!
I don't care if it can interpret my brain waves and do the color as I visualize it ( actually I may pay 30K for that)
The other day I was asked if I take DaVinci Resolve projects instead of Final Cut or Avid to start working, and they wanted to pay $1500 for a feature length shot in RED, felt insulted to be honest.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 23, 2012 at 9:35:38 am

Well, its not me who started to give it away for free.
I always thought the idea of free software kills the market..
And of course it does.

So yeah, I think they should give the functionality of the big panel away for free too :)

Because you are right, its hard to explain to clients why the need to pay a proper amount of money if they dont see the big iron.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor

Return to posts index

Jarek Sterczewski
on Aug 23, 2012 at 10:32:06 am

Jet exactly as you say.
When working in the studio where I have a big panel of higher rate for his work.
When I use Wave or element rate is lower.
This psychological approach to the customer - big maybe more!
Although the long feature film projects, big panel does not affect speed or quality of my work.
I've just (cinema premiere is September 11) feature film, starting just 90 minutes documentary project - both when using Wave.
When advertising is a greater significance - it is faster and the studio looks impressive!

DaVinci 8.2 OS X 10.6.8
MacPro 2x2,26 16GB RAID0 8TB
Nvidia Quadro FX 4800
Extreme 3D + HDLinkPro
Tangent WAVE

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:31:49 pm

[Sascha Haber] "Well, its not me who started to give it away for free."

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it personal...

[Sascha Haber] "Because you are right, its hard to explain to clients why the need to pay a proper amount of money if they dont see the big iron."

I don't know man, I honestly think clients don't care about what panels you have, I've sat down on Pablo sessions with a big panel and Resolve with a Waves and I didn't see any indication of interest on the clients regarding panels, they did ask however what system I was using, and Resolve now is Apple Color when it comes to market perception.

The bottom line is, since DaVinci got free grading prices expectations from clients went incredible low.

Return to posts index

Jon Howard
on Dec 3, 2012 at 8:41:21 pm

Don't think Resolve equals Apple Color when it comes to market perception. Company 3 and The Mill LA are on Resolve, and for commercials those are probably the two biggest color shops in LA. The Linux version with big honkin panels of course, which isn't free by a long, long stretch. Interesting discussion overall, just wanted to chime in regarding the statement about market perception.

In my experience sitting in color sessions for commercials, clients are looking at monitors, not the GUI or panels. They're interested only in getting the color they want in the time they have booked. If the software gets them there, they're happy, regardless what it is. Between Resolve, Scratch, Pablo, Baselight and Lustre, I've been in color sessions for all of them and not once has the software been asked about or become an issue, with the exception of Lustre. But that was more of a facility infrastructure issue and nothing to do specifically with the application.

The artist is by far the most important component in a color session and the editors and creatives I work with routinely seek out specific colorists for their work, and would go after those guys even if they switched software.

Interesting discussion and I don't mean to go off topic. The comment about Resolve's market perception stuck out at me.

Return to posts index

Jarek Sterczewski
on Aug 23, 2012 at 8:04:21 am

Precious is all for $ 30 000.
However, if BMD supports other panels, it should also "pamper" their users.
I gladly bought the big panel, but when I crop choice Tangent Element and Ford F150 :)

DaVinci 8.2 OS X 10.6.8
MacPro 2x2,26 16GB RAID0 8TB
Nvidia Quadro FX 4800
Extreme 3D + HDLinkPro
Tangent WAVE

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Aug 23, 2012 at 12:12:33 am

I quite frankly think that this is a different philosophy of UI. What you have described has reminded me of the SpeedGrade approach to the way they treat control panels. It might seem nice at first, but BMD DaVinci Resolve approach allows for a more flexible workflow. You can use panel to do one thing while simultaneously doing something else with a mouse/keyboard, because panel does not react to the room changes. In SpeedGrade I have noticed that I have to do way more clickety-clackety with the panel in order to achieve similar results. Tough, it is easier to use in certain respects because of the two way link between the GUI and the panel, it is a bit more difficult in some other.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 23, 2012 at 10:45:27 am

Did you work on the big one ?
It actually combines both approaches.
The middle two panels follow your UI inputs, the out ones hold your last thought.
I think a bi-directional communication between panel and UI is key for effective working.
Hey, I have that on my cheapest synthesizer remotes.
Of course I want to see the slider move if I grab a know and for sure I wanna see the value of that control on the panel if I move the slider on the UI.
I mean...this is basics ,)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor

Return to posts index

Andy Winter
on Aug 24, 2012 at 10:16:39 am

i agree totally, i wanna see the values!!!

and i don't see any advantage of not updating the gui.
doing something at the same time with the mouse? hm,
i can't think of anything useful but clicking on the proper
tab to actually see what i am doing valuewise...

sascha, do you think bm does this on purpose to reward
people who do use the big iron?
(same goes for memories a-h and not being able to jump directly to clips)

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 24, 2012 at 10:52:12 am

Well, I have no information about the technical possibilities of the Wave or Element panels.
The panel mapping provided is 90% complete and allows to develop muscle memory to a certain extend.
But the more you grow into the software, the more you start to miss those extra features.
So what we are doing , essentially, is not being thankful about what we are getting for free, but complaining about what we are not getting...for free.

But as much as I want to justify the investment into the full panel, clients are as discussed not as rewarding with their budgets and a lot of them also lowered their standard in time of recession.
They only thing we can hope for is for the big panel to become cheaper.
I doubt we will ever see a complete mapping for the third party controls or a matrix to do it ourselves.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 9b3 OSX 10.8
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Aug 23, 2012 at 8:24:35 pm

No sir, I did not work on a big one. The OP of course is talking about a Tangent panel. I was comparing my experiences with Tangent and two different pieces of software with two different approaches.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]