FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm planning on this monitor Set-up. Any advice/input?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benji Dalton
I'm planning on this monitor Set-up. Any advice/input?
on Aug 18, 2012 at 1:19:29 pm

Hello all,
hopefully this is the right place for this post. I'm setting up a Resolve suite and as usual, the budget is an issue. I've gone through so many options and each is getting more and more expensive. As my partners who are investing in this suite protested, I explained the importance of monitoring in a Color Grading suite and how if we wanted to be taken serious, we needed to get this right. A lot of back and forth and now I figure I've got one more sell to my partners before they think I've lost my mind so I thought I'd maybe vet it here first if any kind members of this forum would lend me some of their time. Here's what I'm going with at this stage:

1) Reference monitor for the colorist:
Flanders Scientific CM-170W
http://www.flandersscientific.com/index/pg91632
Price:$3,295

2) Client Monitor:
Panasonic GT30 Series Plasma
http://www.panasonic.co.nz/products/home-entertainment/viera-tvs/gt30-serie...
Price: $1,170

Add calibration session with professional for the plasma. Price: $350

Total Cost: $4815 (more than double what we initially wanted to allocate for monitoring cost ;)

The BMD DeckLink HD Extreme 3D is the card of choice and it's going to feed the plasma with HDMI.

Another thing I might mention, I'm in New Zealand so prices are different than the U.S. (usually more expensive) and the Panny Plasmas can have some different model numbers. The Plasma above was chosen though because it's slightly older, it has a very reasonable price and offers THX Mode and ISF. They have a newer GT50 now but it's double the price. The VT50 is more than triple the price as is the BT300 series.

Now is one other option I've been considering. I could go with just the BT300 series and not have the Flanders Scientific, so it would just be a single monitor set-up. That would keep us around budget. I just hesitate because I really would like to have one solid reference monitor and I'm afraid I'd lose sleep over the Panny drifting more often. There is also the fact that the people for calibration that I've contacted so far don't offer to generate a 3D LUT but rather just get you to Rec. 709 or as close to it as they can. I'm still waiting to hear back from one company on that but they are quite far away (not anywhere close to my city).

My gut says to just go with the Flanders and use the cheaper GT30 Plasma and then in the future I can go for a better plasma possibly. Oh and another thing I might mention, I don't intend for the clients to be able to see the flanders at all, just the Plasma. We are setting up the suite so that they'll be facing the plasma and the Flanders will just be for the Colorist reference.

Return to posts index

Joseph Mastantuono
Re: I'm planning on this monitor Set-up. Any advice/input?
on Aug 20, 2012 at 3:26:49 am

Get the Flanders. You want hd-SDI monitoring, and you want external scopes. Flanders scopes on their monitors don't provide the snazzy functions on techtronics scopes but, it's a good start. Another option is a seperate system for a scopebox or ultrascope.

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]