FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid MXF trouble

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Berg
Avid MXF trouble
on Aug 17, 2012 at 2:37:42 am

Hi all,

Hope someone has seen this and might be able to help.

I am rendering out Avid MXF media from Resolve in Target mode. I have 5 timelines that I have graded and am rendering out. Normally we just take the MXF files, drop them into the Avid media folder, rebuild the database and bring in the clip (either through media tool or by dragging the database to a bin).

For this show, it's not working well at all. If I bring all 5 MXF clips into the media folder, only 1 will show up in Avid media tool. It seems that Avid is seeing all 5 MXF clips as 1 master clip. If I bring the MXF files into the folder just one at a time, I can see each one fine. Although after I bring it the first MXF file, the second one might still think it's the first one (clip name and duration switches back to the properties of the first clip).

I've never had this where the MXF files do not come in separately in Avid. It seems that Resolve is not writing some metadata in the MXF file that keeps them separate in the Avid media management world.

Curious if anyone has seen this. Blackmagic is trying to find out what metadata gets written to the MXF file in Target mode that might confuse the Avid.

I have Resolve 8.2.2 on Windows 7 and Avid Media Composer 5.5 on Windows Vista.

Thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Avid MXF trouble
on Aug 17, 2012 at 3:05:43 am

If you are rendering in Target mode, you are making one clip. How does it behave if you render each clip in source mode?
Peter

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Aug 17, 2012 at 3:54:08 am

Hi Peter,

You've run into a bug. This seems to happen if you have rendered in source mode once, and then trying to render in target mode. All the target clips are getting the same ID, and hence Avid thinks they are the same. This will not happen if you didn't render in source mode before rendering in target mode.

For the moment, can you render to Quicktime, and take it to Avid that way?

We hope to have a fix for this soon.

Regards,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Aug 17, 2012 at 2:59:41 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

We like Target mode most of the time because it just makes the workflow a bit easier. One graded flattened file that we can just drop in on top of our ungraded clips.

I find that Source mode works fine. It renders out all the source clips and they have the proper Reel/Tape name. Those will come into the Avid and there are no problems.

It's just a Target mode thing. Although I have 2 Timelines with only 1 clip in each. When I render those in Target mode, the clips come in fine. Looks like the MXF renders are getting a Reel/Tape name associated with them. So if there is only one clip in a Timeline it almost treats it like source mode? But when there is more than one clip in the Timeline and you render as Target what metadata is getting written into the MXF file?

It does seem like they are getting the same ID and thus the Avid is getting really confused.

Although Rohit, I don't think I did render in Source mode first. I'm pretty sure we only rendered out in Target mode for this project. Still getting this bug. Is there anything I can do to help figure this out? If the Resolve can give each Target mode render a unique ID, then I would think they would cause no problems in the Avid.

Will you still offer some new V8 updates? To fix small bugs and such? We are in the middle of some big projects and will not be going to V9 for quite a bit.

Thank you,
Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Aug 17, 2012 at 7:54:49 pm

Rohit,

I did find a workaround. If I just load 1 MXF file from Resolve and do an Avid Mixdown (so it makes a new MXF file) that will allow me to work. Once I have the mixdown I just have to remove the Resolve MXF file from the media folder and then Avid is happy (since the MXF mixdowns that it makes have unique metadata it doesn't get confused).

This does add a few extra hours to our workflow which is unfortunate.

-Peter

Return to posts index

white yufeng
on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:21:41 am

The MXF is not Avid's native format, you need to use AMA Plugin to import it into Media .

As far as I know, the transferred off MXF video doesn't work well with Avid MC 5.5 or under. You'd better upgrade to Avid MC 6.0 to have a try.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Dec 17, 2012 at 3:52:26 am

Sorry White,

But MXF actually is Avid's native file format. You should NOT need to use AMA to get DNxHD MXF files into Avid. Blackmagic fixed this bug in the latest version of Resolve so that great.

-Peter

Return to posts index

white yufeng
on Dec 18, 2012 at 8:02:23 am

Hi, Peter.

I'm sorry. I can't go along with your view. If it is native, why did it release the MXF Plugins(including Canon XF Pugin)?

You can do a search about the Avid MXF files, you will find many users can't direclty import MXF to Avid MC.

Thanks for reply.

-----------------------------------------------
Do you have recorded some 1080 60p, 50p AVCHD videos? How to get them to ed...
-----------------------------------------------
Merry Christmas. iPad/Apple TV/iPhone/iPod DVD Ripper costs $23.9

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]