FORUMS: list search recent posts

List of annoying (mostly timeline related) UI behaviours in the Resolve 9 Beta 1,2,3 (Windows)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitry Kitsov
List of annoying (mostly timeline related) UI behaviours in the Resolve 9 Beta 1,2,3 (Windows)
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:43:40 pm

1. Keyframes tab.
1.1 Keyframes timeline display of the marks: when you have more then one marks in your clip and you look at your keyframes tab timeline it is almost impossible to have a sense of the position of those marks within a clip. In a v9 implementation, when you scroll (see 1.2) the keyframes tab timeline, some kind of automatic zoom happens that stretches and contracts the crossover graphic between the marks, with the earlier mark in the sequence becoming sticky in a relation to the timelines start. The playhead indicator is now also sticky in a relation to the window's edge and not to the position of the clip. When you scrol and the playhead "hits" the edge of the Keyframetab window it now starts travelling with it, instead of falling behind. This changes the position of the play-head relative of the footage, so you jump all over the clip. In conjunction with the stupid fake dynamic zoom when you scroll, this effectively makes the use of dynamics in a complicated setups impossible in any situation.

1.2 A mouse wheel is in now linked to a alt option key in Keyframes tab timeline for scrolling. In a previous version (v8) it would drive the zoom/in zoom out without the use of alt option Key, and the zoom, by the way, was proportional, now there is a separate control slider for zooming in and out of the timeline that you have to re-position you hand to do. This is not consistent with the behavior of the mouse wheel in other timelines in Resolve. The best timeline navigation example is the conform tab timeline. Please bring other timelines in line with it.

1.3 Zooming in the Keyframes tab timeline is inconsistent. For one, when you zoom you observe the same sticky behavior as with scrolling. Secondly after you reach a certain point of scale when zooming out, the zooming of the timeline appears to reverse and instead of zooming out it appears to zoom in. Then, suddenly everything disappears from the timeline.

What would normally takes me about 30 seconds to do in a 8.2 version took me about 5 minutes to complete in a v9 because of the above issues.

2 Conforming and editing: While the conforming tab timeline is a shining example of UI from the point of view of the navigation (with a single exception), there are now issues pertaining to the conforming/editing itself.
2.1 Transitions: in v8 one could highlight a clip in a conform tab timeline and then, by grabbing it's edge and pulling it over the edge of the adjacent clip/cut create a cross dissolve. In conjunction with snapping behavior this would allow for a quick conform especially from flat edl split clips. Now this doesn't work. In v9 you have to drag and drop a transition if you require one, but even that does not work properly. If you have 2 adjacent clips with plenty of incoming/outgoing frames in its handles, you cannot apply a transition unless you shift the border between the clips with either Roll or Ripple edit tools. Even if you shift this border back to its original position you still have to do it. This now requires twice the mouse clicks and not at all precise.
2.2 The single navigation issue in the Conform Tab timeline is that when you navigating the timeline with the aid of the keyboards arrow keys to scroll in a one-frame increments and the play-head reaches the edge of the timeline's window, it stops. You have then play ahead or scroll with a mouse to advance to the next portion of the timeline.

In conclusion: many of this navigational issues would be OK if not for the inconsistent zooming and stupid "dynamic" sticking of the marks to the edges of the timeline window in a keyframe tab.

Thank you for listening.

PS: I understand this is a Beta version.

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
Re: List of annoying (mostly timeline related) UI behaviours in the Resolve 9 Beta 1,2,3 (Windows)
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:01:29 pm

I agree.

Return to posts index

Javier Sanchez
Re: List of annoying (mostly timeline related) UI behaviours in the Resolve 9 Beta 1,2,3 (Windows)
on Aug 16, 2012 at 7:47:40 pm

I hope beta means "we will listen users"

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:36:55 pm

I don't think BMD has ever not listened to users.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:42:06 pm

True, I am especially happy with the fix of the non square PAR images behavior with Power Windows and tracking that we discussed at NAB floor

Return to posts index

Javier Sanchez
on Aug 16, 2012 at 11:18:06 pm

Right the best, support from davincihelp, always asking Dwaine on mail to help with some issues, but since one week no answer in to the mail :(

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

Colin Travers
on Aug 16, 2012 at 11:45:54 pm

I have to say I have personally have had pretty consistent tech support from Dwaine, and he has been there in a pinch on big jobs when something is not functioning as it should and I am bugging out! While they don't always have an answer immediately they have been really patient with me and usually get back with a response when possible. Considering other software companies require you to pay for that type of tech support its hard to justify a complaint - in fact if it was reasonably priced I would pay an annual contract fee for 24hr in-depth tech support for DaVinci just so I would have that option if it was after hours and I was having some crazy issue on an important deadline driven top-tier project.

While we are on the keyframe subject, I do have my own keyframe request which is to be able to paste attributes from one keyframe to another - I have not gotten very deep into V9 as I have been in the middle of a few jobs on V8.2 in the last few weeks and was not a beta tester BUT if this is not a new feature in V9 I hope it will be eventually or maybe someone can better direct me in a way to do this.

That is, if I have heavily keyframed a custom curve for example around a subject moving so much that a track wont do with a holdout matte as its function or just limiting the effect to the inside or outside of the keyframed shape and THEN a change needs to be made in the color adjustment or whatever parameter I want to be able to paste attributes (like in fcp7) and chose which attribute to paste and which to ignore - SO if the shape is fine its just that the subject within the shape needs to be slightly darker i don't want to have to adjust each keyframe manually but instead just paste attributes from that one newly adjusted keyframe. Hopefully that makes sense?

If there is an easier solution or this has already been implemented in V9 I apologize for this post!

Thank you

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Aug 17, 2012 at 4:01:14 am

Hi Dmitry,

We're looking at these issues with the Keyframes widget. We will have a fix for these before we release V9.

Regards,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Aug 17, 2012 at 4:42:07 am

Thank you for listening!
Do you have any comment on conforming/transitions?

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 17, 2012 at 8:03:28 am

Awesome Rohit, and team :)

I have to agree on all his points...
Even if the interface is much nicer now, I am clicking around twice as much.
Also because certain shortcuts are unavailable it seems.
And due to the fact that I am using a pen.
Did you guys try to right click withe the pen into a gallery still ?
In 9 out of 10 attempts I drag the image around, probably due to the fine movement of my hand.
Would be so sweet if there could be a little threshhold to prevent that.

Besides of those little things...I love it :)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 17, 2012 at 1:49:52 pm

...and can the "render audio" please be on by default ?
I am still re rendering stuff because i forget to turn it on every time I reload the project.
Same goes for the cache directory...
This one also gets lost when adding a new timeline to an existing project.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Joseph Mastantuono
on Aug 17, 2012 at 6:37:23 pm

I very much appreciate this Beta strategy. I think that letting the userbase jump on, and helping get resolve further ahead in terms of usability.

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]