FORUMS: list search recent posts

All ahead slow!..

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason wingrove
All ahead slow!..
on Aug 15, 2012 at 6:10:32 am

OK.. my main issue is performance!.. be buggered if i can get anywhere near 25fps grading 5DMkIII clips even with one simple grading node!. Average is about 12-18fps with a decent pause between clips. Also takes forever to load clips into the conform or Color timeline.

Im running an octo 2.26 mac pro with 32gb ram, GPU's are GT120 for GUI and MacVidCards 2.5GB GTX570 running headless for 'acceleration' Media is on an external esata raid getting about 150MB/s according to BMD speed test.

Im running the latest beta 2 of licensed Resolve, Mountain Lion and the latest Cuda & Geforce drivers.

Interestingly as a test i added a new startup drive with just Lion, and Resolve as a test and got exactly the same results. no slower or faster. Any help greatly appreciated!

cheers all
jason

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: All ahead slow!..
on Aug 15, 2012 at 7:42:04 am

Please load all your media in Resolve and render your master timeline to ProRes 4444, assigning TC and some manners to that horrible Canon codec ;)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

jason wingrove
on Aug 15, 2012 at 7:47:50 am

Thx Sascha
how do i render a timeline to a certain codec? you dont mean export / deliver right?

Return to posts index

jason wingrove
on Aug 15, 2012 at 9:05:20 pm

Also this is 5DmkIII ALL-I ftg with so called time code, which is not a long GOP format, still needs rendering?

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Aug 16, 2012 at 12:14:50 am

Do you see the playback issue with Prores or DNxHD?

Return to posts index

jason wingrove
on Aug 18, 2012 at 6:33:42 am

interestingly no, i can play my 5K Red files at '1/4 rez good' or 1080P Prores 4444 clips all with a handfll of nodes and better than real time tracking no problem.. but 1080 5D MK3 'All-I' clips its back to treacle slow. The All-I codec should be a discrete/ non GOP format with embedded timecode so its a mystery to me why its grinding resolve to its knees?

thx tho all for your input so far

Return to posts index

rene hazekamp
Re: All ahead slow!.. similar prblem
on Aug 18, 2012 at 11:55:25 am

i've similar issues with xdcam-ex footage. In resolve 8.2 I have like 14-15 nodes realtime (osx 10.6.8) and in 9 (beta 1) -osx 10.7.3/2 (?)
I hardly had realtime playback with only 1 simple node (22 fps or so).

In 8.2 I also had less RT when I started up with 10.7 instead of 10.6.8.

Rene Hazekamp

8 core 2.26 macpro 24 GB ram
gtx 470
gt 120

Return to posts index

Ben Starkey
on Aug 20, 2012 at 12:42:19 am

For the record, Both Resolve 8 and 9 don't really like the MXFs generated by the Canon C300. Blame Canon. Haha, jk.

Return to posts index

rene hazekamp
Re: All ahead slow!.. similar prokayblem
on Aug 20, 2012 at 11:14:44 am

okay

but I was talking about xdcam (Sony) and it worked in Resolve 8

So ?

René Hazekamp

portfolio http://www.renehazekamp.com

Return to posts index

jason wingrove
on Aug 21, 2012 at 10:30:20 am

Thx Rene.

Im sure BMD are looking into all of this, they want resolve to be the best it can be and have no doubt spent a tonne of resources turning V8 into the far more user friendly V9! and im sure wont stop there

till then i guess its Prores conversions for me

Return to posts index

Pedro Conforti
on Sep 7, 2012 at 3:36:11 pm

UPDATE:

Just found out what was making my system slow. I forgot an DVI to HDMI adapter plugged on the GTX570. No cables, just the adapter. Removed it and Resolve regained full speed.

Lesson learned!

Cheers,

Pedro

---

Hey guys,

sorry to ask on the same thread, but since my configuration is basically the same and I am having a similar problem, think it's better to ask here than to start a new thread...

My Resolve system is also performing way below my expectations (around 9 fps) and I cant understand why. First I thought it was because I was playing .R3D files without a Red Rocket. But then I've imported a Quicktime ProRes file and nothing changed... so for a final test, imported a 1920x1080 .TIFF sequence, and also no luck.

Blackmagic Disk Speed gives me more than 500MB/s here, so this should not be the problem. Resolve recognizes my GTX570 (CUDA driver 5.0.17 installed) at startup.

Assimilate's Scratch plays everything just fine at full speed, on the same system.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pedro Conforti :: Colorist
Link Digital
-----------------------

Resolve Lite 9
Mac Pro 8 core 2.26Ghz 48Gb RAM
OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion
GTX 570 2.5Gb (flashed) + GT120
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index