FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Motion effects in DaVinci

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Worsfold
Premiere Motion effects in DaVinci
on Aug 10, 2012 at 11:38:52 am

Hello...!

I've come across a problem with a conform I've done from a Premiere CS6 XML.

The project I'm working on is for a museum installation. It is to be two 1080P screens - sometimes with different images on, sometimes with the same image spread panoramically across the two. The footage was all shot on Red - some 3K but mostly 4K.

Now, for several shots (mainly the ones which are spread across both screens) I have pushed right in to the 4K and moved the position so it is either hard right or hard left (depending on screen). Bringing this in to Resolve, however..... the shots just appear in the 1080 screen full frame. If I tell a clip to use the sizing info from the XML it doesn't seem to be resizing them, although it does reposition them.

Example:
I have a shot at 4K HD spread across the two 1080P screens. The shot on the left screen is positioned in Premiere at 0 and 780, with an anchor point of 0 and 1080. Scale is 100. This means the shot is up against the left of the screen. The same shot on the right screen is doing the same but butted up against the far right.

When bringing the left hand screen into DaVinci, the shot is in a 1080 timeline but full frame. When telling it to use the sizing info from the XML it does not resize but pushes the image down and to the left, leaving a load of black around it and half the image missing off the left side of the screen. So it would appear that it is only using the position but not the scale or anchor point info.

Is there a way for me to get this to work? Or am I going to need to export a fresh quicktime and cut it up using the scene detection?

I'm using Resolve Lite. And although I know it is limited to 1080, this only afects the timeline settings doesn't it? I've got a shot in the timeline that just has a slow push in and that seems to work fine. It is when there is repositioning going on that the problem occurs.

Fairly new to DaVinci so I'm probably missing something....! (Or maybe it's the XML from Premiere?)

Thanks for any help you can give.

(Oh, and this is Resolve Lite 8.2.2!)

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: Premiere Motion effects in DaVinci
on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:38:08 pm

In premiere do you have your timeline dimensions be a 3840x1080?

Return to posts index

Jamie Worsfold
on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:54:35 pm

Nope. It's a 1920x1080 sequence in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:47:36 pm

I fail to see how are you going to spread it across the two screens then without the distortion.

Return to posts index

Jamie Worsfold
on Aug 16, 2012 at 5:12:06 pm

But it isn't distorting. It is just not recognising the sizing information from the XML.

Surely if I have done an edit in Premiere in a 1920x1080 timeline and send the XML of that to DaVinci then a 1920x1080 timeline in DaVinci should look the same?

I have two seperate edits: One for the left screen and one for the right screen. Both of these are 1920x1080 and are independent of one another.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Aug 16, 2012 at 6:28:57 pm

Well, OK, not everything translates well, but I just run a test and had no issues with panning and scaling of video from PPro timeline in resolve. All of my settings came through.

Return to posts index

Jamie Worsfold
on Aug 23, 2012 at 1:29:55 pm

Strangely, some of the scaling does come through but not all.

For example, I have a few shots in the timeline which I have a slow zoom in on. These work fine. And I think these are set as 'Scale to Frame'.

It seems to be on r3d 4K footage which has been left at 100% in Premiere where the sizing is not working. It defaults to being scaled to 1080.

I think as a quick workaround for those particular shots I'll just resize in Resolve.

I'm also now thinking that this isn't a Resolve issue. I imported the XML that Premiere created into FCP and got a similar issue. So it must be a Premiere thing.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Aug 23, 2012 at 5:33:36 pm

I see. Perhaps there is no issue at all but rather the resilve making the assumption (with your current resolve scaling settings) that the footage that is unscaled should be simply conformed to the timeline at its full aperture. My understanding is that resolve is not pixel dependent while premiere is. The issue is not a technical one but an implementation of the workflow philosophy.

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Oct 1, 2012 at 7:42:55 pm

Jamie (or anyone who stumbles upon this thread),

Go to Image Scaling / Input Scaling Preset and try "center crop with no resizing" or different settings. I found that it's important to get it right when using sizing information from XML.

Explanation of the different options is in page 434 of the Resolve 9 manual.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]