FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alexa timecodes come up 00:00:00:00

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Cannon
Alexa timecodes come up 00:00:00:00
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:39:51 pm

Hi all,

Going from FCP 7 to OSX Resolve 8.2.2 (also tested 9B1) I'm running into a problem I've never seen before. About half of the Alexa ProRes 4444 files show up in the browser as having no embedded reel name and timecode that starts at 00:00:00:00. Even more strange, these files are intermixed with the Alexa footage that works - coming up with the correct reel and has timecode starting at a normal time-of-day timecode. So, on a given mag, takes 1 3 and 7 might work, and takes 2, 4, 5, 6 might not.

I can't think of any workaround to conform these since the timecode is being read incorrectly. In final cut, the reels and media start values are correct (so I think the project XML is also correct).

Any thoughts?

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Anish Prithviraj
Re: Alexa timecodes come up 00:00:00:00
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:38:49 am

Hi Kevin,

I tried Alexa ProRes 4444 files here and Resolve seems to read timecode correctly. Would it be possible for you to send us a short sample of one of the clips where Resolve is not seeing the TC correctly?

If you are unable to send us the actual files, could you at least send us an export of the project?

You can send your media to davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign.com

Thanks,
Anish

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Aug 11, 2012 at 2:16:35 am

Thanks Anish, sent that along. Just to be clear- this configuration has worked and still works with all other Alexa footage, and I haven't seen this problem with any other footage from any camera...

My workaround was (ugh) to read the "media start" on the transcoded dailies and use "change timecode" to specify the media start on the camera originals. Many hundred of times. While doing that, we noticed some oddities in the camera original footage. Occasionally the camera recorded exactly 9-second takes of green frames...it's unclear if the camera rolled or if it was writing these clips to the cards without rolling. On those clips, the time resets to 00:00:00:00.

There's definitely something wrong with the clips from the camera, but in the end we seem to be able to get the picture in by manually putting in the timecode and extracting reel numbers from file path...

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Stacy Chaet
on Aug 23, 2012 at 7:53:58 pm

Hi!

I'm having the same timecode error (each clip starts at 00:00:00:00) with Alexa footage that is ProRes4444. I'm using the current public beta of Resolve 9, did anyone find a solution besides fixing it manually?

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Aug 24, 2012 at 4:56:16 am

Hi Stacy,

I did not and I never heard a resolution from BMD. Definitely e-mail them at davincihelp at blackmagicdesign dot com.

I blame Arri.

Cheers,

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]