FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolved Crashed During Job Render!

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jones
Resolved Crashed During Job Render!
on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:07:54 am

Just a heads-up: I spent the better part of seven hours grading a show, set-up an XMP render and just as I hit the Render button, Resolve disappeared. No crash notice afterwards, no trace of the entire project. I gather even the most recent autosave file no longer exists. Be careful ...

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Resolved Crashed During Job Render!
on Aug 9, 2012 at 1:33:10 am

That doesn't sound good. Can you let us know, are you on v9? Is auto save turned on? In the Autosave history do you see and listing of the project? In the project list do you see the project?
Peter

Return to posts index

Jason Jones
Re: solved Crashed During Job Render!
on Aug 9, 2012 at 2:26:06 am

Sorry - I was too shook up to be clear: yes, I was on the beta version of Resolve 9 released last week! I've uninstalled and returned to v8 for now, but of course, that means dealing with the resurrection of the previous database using Terminal. What a day ...

Return to posts index

Jason Jones
on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:54:04 am

And to be slightly more informative: there was no trace of the project or it's backup file anywhere on my system. Early 2008 MacPro 3,1 Quad-Core 2 X 2.8GHz, running 10.7.4 with 18GB RAM, NVDIA Quadro 4000 CUDA on 5.0.17, GeForce GTX 470.

Let me know if any additional info would help. For the time being, while I love most of the new features of v9 (I did miss Scene Detection a bit), this was a catastrophic loss, and except for rendering out at intervals through the grading process, I'm not sure what else I could have done.

Good luck with beta V9!!

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:05:24 pm

Scene Detection is still available by right clicking on the clip you want to scene detect.

Also just to mention I've been using Resolve 9 for two months and rendered hours of material with no issues so hopefully this will never happen again to anyone!

I also back up my database every night at 1am and keep incrimental backups for 6months to make sure we're covered so I would try and backup if possilbe!

Hope this helps.

D

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Jason Jones
on Aug 9, 2012 at 7:30:02 pm

Thanks for the reply! So you've never hit the Render button and had Resolve just vanish ...? I'm hoping this was a one-off glitch, and it's true, I wasn't able to reproduce it before I uninstalled V9 to get this job out on V8.

Would you mind going over your database back-up protocol? When you say 1am, that sounds like you're using something other than TimeMachine, and specifically backing-up Resolve's database using a third-party app?

Thanks -

J

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:42:55 pm

That's just what time he leaves work normally ;)

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:50:08 pm

I have a Dropbox (Cloud) Account and export a backup of the project at various points during the day. That way, even if the facility burns down I have a version of the project that I could continue working on anywhere in the world. (Need to make sure a copy of the media lives somewhere else as well.) Finished a Hallmark movie recently that I started using this on since the Director and DP were from out of town and getting them back would have been almost impossible. Gives me a sense of security and a place to return to if disaster strikes.

Clark Bierbaum
Colorist, Contractor, Realtor
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Jason Jones
on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:54:59 pm

So how do you specifically isolate Resolve's database, back it up, and then, if necessary, restore from that database?

Thanks again!

J

Return to posts index

Anish Prithviraj
on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:18:06 am

Hi Jason,

For V9, were you using a disk database (file based) or a PostgreSQL database? When you say the project disappeared, do you mean it went away from your project manager on the database? Or did your entire database disappear?

Could you please run CaptureLogs.app (/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve). This should save a compressed package of logs on your desktop. Could you please send us this file at davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign.com.

Also, did you manually turn on Autosave/backup on your project or is it part of your default settings? And did you manually initiate a save at least once?

Thanks,
Anish

Return to posts index

Jason Jones
on Aug 10, 2012 at 2:26:32 pm

Anish -

Thanks for getting back on this! I was using the new disk-based database. And yes, not only did I have Autosave set at up 10-minute intervals, I saved at least a few times during the grading.

Now, I DID uninstall V9 after this happened, so I could go back to V8 and get this job out. Can I still find the logs you'd like at the appropriate location?

J

Return to posts index

Anish Prithviraj
on Aug 13, 2012 at 5:14:28 am

Hi Jason,

You should still be able to find the CaptureLogs.app at the same location. Go ahead and send us that although you uninstalled.

In addition to that, could you also zip up the folder where your disk database was saved and send that over. The default location is: /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Local_DiskDB.

If you manually saved this in another location, please look for a folder called "Resolve Projects". Could you please zip this up and send it to us at davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign.com.

Thanks,
Anish

Return to posts index

Jason Jones
on Aug 14, 2012 at 1:04:07 pm

Hey Anish -

Thanks for this, but I had already been in contact with Dwayne, and we concluded that it was to late to run the CaptureLogs app in my case. However, I'm much clearer on the whole disk-based backup process now, so I'm more confident running V9 with that in place. Plus, I have not been able to get the crash-on-render thing to repeat, so hopefully that was a one-off phenomenon.

I do have another question, if you've got a minute: when I've got a project lined-up on the Delivery page, and right-click thumbnails on the timeline, nothing happens. I don't get the choice of rendering a single clip, vs the entire timeline, or the chance to set in and out marks. Any idea why right-clicking isn't coming up with any menu items?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

c-deeq rapheal
on Aug 12, 2012 at 4:23:26 pm

WHEN I EXPORT XML VIA RESOLVE 9.2 PRMEIERE PRO WILL IMPORT IT ...IT GIVES ME THIS MESSAGE "Please check the FCP Translation Results report (added to the main bin) for possible issues encountered during translation"....THEN THIS MESSAGE "the project contained a sequence that could not be opened. No sequence preview preset file or codec could be associated with this sequence type"

ALSO EDL DOS NOT WORK EITHER

NEED A FIX

MAC PRO 5.1
QUAD 2.8
MOUTAIN LION

Return to posts index

Javier Sanchez
on Aug 9, 2012 at 9:23:13 pm

same issue here, i make some render queue to send all the renders together and as soon as i click render resolve 9b2 desapear.
Also having issue with render cache (transforming clips to black, and sometimes blinking)

Those are my two common errors among others (like resetting scope every time)

My solution with the render: do it one by one, no use of queue job
With render cache, no use it.
witth scope i have to resetup on each project.

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Aug 9, 2012 at 10:27:03 pm

Simon is right I live there these days!

Resolve uses a PostSQL database so you can do it a couple of ways. One way is to do it via the Resolve interface. Click the little icon down the bottom right of the user login page and you will see a backup option. Click and save it to dropbox etc.. done!

PostSQL can also be scheduled to backup via a script so we have a script that at 1am stops the database, uses a command called PG_Dump which makes a backup file of the database and then starts it again.

Thats on our Linux system but I'm sure it would work just as well on a mac!

Hope this helps :)

D

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Anish Prithviraj
on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:45:24 am

Javier,

Could you capture logs immediately after the render crash (/Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/CaptureLogs.app). Please send a copy of the packaged zip file to davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign.com.

Could you give some more detail on the render cache? What type of source media are you using? Could you send us an export of the project?

As for the scopes, Resolve should remember scope settings for each user. When you say it is resetting, do you mean the scopes go back to displaying all 4 every time you open the project? We will take a look to see if we run into similar issues.

Thanks,
Anish

Return to posts index

Javier Sanchez
on Aug 10, 2012 at 3:48:56 pm

for the render cache i am using alexa 444 1080p23.98- render cache all.
For the scopes is that i setup to 2up parade and vector. Parade on no color, and it return to color parade as soon i restart v9. and if i chage to 4 up it reset all the settings.

I'm going to cause the crash on render and send you the log.

Regards

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

Moritz Mössinger
on Sep 26, 2013 at 3:26:06 pm

Hey, exactly the same happened to me today! I can still find the project in the disc manager but how did you manage to restore it? Do you have the v8 install and if yes do you know if the project data in the projects folder is damaged or still usable! I backed the project up repeatedly but I can't get resolve to show it as a project!

I would appreciate your help since I am pretty desperate!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]