FORUMS: list search recent posts

H264 Quicktimes come out lighter

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Berg
H264 Quicktimes come out lighter
on Aug 8, 2012 at 6:19:36 am

This should be an easy question hopefully.

Have my sequence graded and looking good. Did a render out as Quicktime H264. Looking at the resulting file, the black levels are raised and the file is much brighter than on my crt or plasma monitor (hooked up to my Decklink card).

This is happening on my Davinci Resolve 8.2.2 Windows system. I seem to remember doing the same operation on my Mac Resolve system and there were no problems. Could it be something with the Windows version of Quicktime? Are there any settings I could be missing?

I have done Avid MXF media renders and those have proper levels and things look correct. What could I be missing with this H264 quicktime render?

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: H264 Quicktimes come out lighter
on Aug 8, 2012 at 6:54:14 am

I have seen it on mac also.

Som of us here use handbreak to make internet version of renderings that you output as full scale file.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:15:22 am

Try rendering to full-range data levels? H.264 by default (auto mode) will render to video-range.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:32:09 am

Thanks Rohit. Is this different between the Mac and PC systems?

I do remember exporting H264 QT files from my Mac Resolve and don't remember changing any settings. The QT files from the Mac Resolve didn't seem to have this raised black issue.

So I did try the full range setting in the render window. While the black levels are improved, the still seem very 'milky'. With the Auto setting they were VERY washed out, so this is in improvement. But it just does not match what my clients saw on my Panasonic Pro Plasma.

While I know a computer monitor is different than a video monitor, something still seems wrong. I checked the file on a few different computers and the black levels just look wrong. Even the black background on my computer desktop is darker than the blacks in my Resolve H264. When I did the grade, I made sure the blacks were at 0mv on my video scope.

Could there be something else going on? Is there a certain version of quicktime that you recommend? Also why would you render as video levels for a H264. Those are almost all the time viewed on a computer. How does the 'Auto' setting work for various renders?

Thank you,
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]