FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 9 Dailies Problem

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Burkhart
Resolve 9 Dailies Problem
on Aug 2, 2012 at 3:00:45 am

I'm trying to make a dailies workflow from Red Epic to Avid Media Composer. It's pretty well documented but I'm running into a problem with the audio not coming over with the AAF file. Can anyone help? Here's what I'm doing.

1. Import Red Epic Footage
2. Import Broadcast Wave Files from Sound Devices recorder.
3. Sync them in the conform window
4. Perform Quick primary grade on the footage.
5. "Deliver" the material as Avid DNxHD36 mxf files to the appropriate media folder in Avid.
6. Export AAF file to avid from Resolve.

Everything works perfectly, resolve outputs the video files and the audio files as .mxf media. I put it in the appropriate Avid Media Files/MXF/# folder.

I import the AAF file into Avid, and all the video material is there, but no audio tracks come over either in the sequence, or in the individual clips themselves. It's all video only. Resolve is making the audio media files, but the AAF is not linking to them.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

JB

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Resolve 9 Dailies Problem
on Aug 2, 2012 at 3:49:12 am

Have you tried dragging the database file from your avid_media folder in to an avid bin to populate it with media? Does that also not have sound? Wondering if it's a media issue or a AAF issue? Also you did check the box to export audio correct? You're seeing A1 A2 etc files?

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

John Burkhart
on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:57:53 am

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the help, and love the new podcast BTW!

It may be an AAF thing.

1. Resolve is making the audio files properly, xxx_A1 &xxx_A2
2. When I drag the avid .mdb file directly into the bin, the clips have audio and work properly.
3. When I import the AAF file from Resolve into another bin, the clips and sequence have no audio tracks assigned (i.e. the're not blank, they're just not there). Picture works as expected

JB

John Burkhart

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Aug 2, 2012 at 9:28:34 am

Hi John,

The AAF export from Master Timeline does not support audio yet. For the moment, you will have to export an ALE and get it to re-link to the rendered video/audio to get all the metadata which you enter in the Media page.

Rohit

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 2, 2012 at 1:23:41 pm

The new, extensive, manual covers the round trip process in quite a lot more detail now. In versions prior to this beta, you could not edit an AAF imported timeline without compromising the return to Media Composer. In this new version 9 release, you can, but with restrictions, audio being one of them - but it would appear that even being able to export an original Resolve AAF is a (welcome and new) work in progress.

But even recognizing that, things from this application development that we never were going to get from Apple COLOR.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

John Burkhart
on Aug 2, 2012 at 1:51:35 pm

Thanks for that. I'll stop trying to troubleshoot it :)

The .mdb drag, and the ALE option are decent workarounds until the AAF functionality is more robust, but I've been astounded by the progress this software's made since version 7 already.

JB

John Burkhart

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:35:51 pm

[John Burkhart] "Thanks for the help, and love the new podcast BTW!"

Glad you like it.

To me the mdb drag or ALE is more inline with the kinds of workflows one normally sees for dailies. But full AAF would be nice too. Though I understand AAF is a tricky beast.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Elliott Balsley
on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:28:33 am

When I do this with an ALE, the clips still come into Avid without audio. I have to click Modify, and add the appropriate number of audio tracks, then relink. Is that the best way of doing it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]