FORUMS: list search recent posts

OpenEXR way too dark in Davinci

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Gorbach
OpenEXR way too dark in Davinci
on Jul 31, 2012 at 9:49:11 pm

Hy Davinci Gurus,

I just started my first davinci project - with version 8. Today I was lucky enough to get the new 9 beta version and it looks great, runs fast, I´m very impressed.

My problem is hopefully very easy to fix.
I have Open EXR sequence files exported from Nuke. 16 bit, linear workflow.
When I load the these files into AE, they look the same as in Nuke.
When I load the files into Resolve 8 or 9, they look way too dark.

I though that this might be a LUT issue - so I tried the LUTs that are provided. The 1D Cpd LUT looks kind of the renders from nuke - but not exactly. But it gave me a good starting point for the grading process.

I did the grading session - everything works fine - but in the skies I produce real ugly banding. When I grade the shots in Nuke, the banding is not so bad as in Resolve.

I hope that i just missed a checkbox that Resolve interprets the Open EXR´s correctly (like AE does) and that the grades get finally a better result.

I´m looking forward to great tips from the gurus,

br,

Felix

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: OpenEXR way too dark in Davinci
on Jul 31, 2012 at 11:25:32 pm

Check you range. Legal versus full. Van Hurkman goes about it at length in the new manual for resolve.

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Aug 1, 2012 at 3:47:52 am

Wonderring if switching from DaVinci YRGB to ACES color space and using the appropriate ODT would do the trick. It's about as close to how NUKE runs things through as it gets. I have not worked with exr's yet myself so would be curious to know what your solution winds up being.

Return to posts index

Felix Gorbach
on Aug 1, 2012 at 9:15:55 am

Thanks Chris and Dmitry!
I did the rtfm workflow as suggested - but after some try and error settings I couldn´t figure out the exacte correct settings that the OpenEXR looks exactly like the sequences are interpreted in Nuke and AE.
But I could create a far better startingpoint to grade without pushing the values too crazy. So the banding in the skies aren´t that bad now.

Seems like the following settings are working for my project:
In the Master Project Settings the DaVinci Aces Color scinence
In the Look Up Tables Tab the ODT of P3 D60 - and the LUT Cdp.

I know - this is just lucky punch style - maybe somenone has a more robust solution for this issue - as OpenEXR is one of the standard formats for Postproduction and Nuke is build araound this format, I wounder if there is a well documentated workflow with this issue.

Thanks for your tips so far - looking foward to great trainings of the new resolve release, but I could find anything so far that I need:)

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:36:39 pm

Open EXR files are in linear light. You need to use a video gamma correction or a liner to video LUT to get a proper interpretation on a video monitor. Try starting with a gamma of about 2.4 and go from there.

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Aug 2, 2012 at 11:40:38 pm

What LUTs are the artists using in NUKE for the VIEWER, READ and WRITE nodes?
What is the source footage?

Craig

Return to posts index

David Ngo
on Aug 3, 2012 at 4:57:43 am

Hi Felix,

I've been working on an animation series that had the same problem. After a lot of LUT testing we essentially gave up. Even when we were able to create a LUT workflow that matched the initial frames pretty closely, when we did any grading it simply fell apart - blacks would be grey mush when pushed up and highlights would have casts/banding. We also found that adjusting anything lacked the fine control feel of grading any other type of file in DaVinci.

Failing to find any definitive reason for the problem in the end I assumed the OpenEXR support was a bit premature and we transcoded everything to 16-Bit TIFFs, which worked beautifully.

Cheers,

Dave.

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Aug 3, 2012 at 4:48:57 pm

We've had no issues with Open EXR's.
We did our homework to find the right colour pipeline from camera to Nuke to Resolve.

Craig

Return to posts index

jesse vrielynck
on Aug 1, 2013 at 4:14:56 pm

Hi Craig,

We'll having the same issues here on a project with some students.
Are you willing to tip us on the colour pipeline?

We were not aware of the issues involved...

Thanks in advance!

best
jesse

Return to posts index

Felix Gorbach
on Aug 1, 2013 at 5:44:19 pm

I can´t remember what I did, but finally i fixed this issue... but don´t ask me how, so Craig the solution you found would be perfect to know.

Thanks - maybe there is a fix in 9.1.5?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]