Resolve 9 Beta Mac Config guide questions and notes

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Cannon
Resolve 9 Beta Mac Config guide questions and notes
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:29:12 pm

Hi all,

Hoping some folks will weigh in the 9 Beta config guide for Mac Pro:

1.) It now recommends "16GB or more" of RAM, but no specific numbers. Has the RAM utilization changed so that there are no longer optimal numbers, just more is better?

2.) Page 18 says the GTX 680 can be used in an external chassis - but it doesn't appear on the certified GPUs list. Is there a specific trim of this card that has been tested or is advised? Especially in the 4GB models? And guidance on issues with the drivers or performance?

3.) Preferred screen resolution is higher now i think - does the interface just scale down for 1920x1200 displays, or are there any features that depend on a higher resolution?

These are interesting at a glance. Thoughts?

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Resolve 9 Beta Mac Config guide questions and notes
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:36:27 pm

[Kevin Cannon] "1.) It now recommends "16GB or more" of RAM, but no specific numbers. Has the RAM utilization changed so that there are no longer optimal numbers, just more is better?"
Triple channel configs are still better for MacPros. So 12, 24, 48, etc. The 12GB is the minimum as Resolve is now 64bit on the mac. Means that It can take advantage of more ram, also means it's a bit more of a ram hog.

[Kevin Cannon] "2.) Page 18 says the GTX 680 can be used in an external chassis - but it doesn't appear on the certified GPUs list. Is there a specific trim of this card that has been tested or is advised? Especially in the 4GB models? And guidance on issues with the drivers or performance?"

The standard GTX680 should work on internal power. It will only run on Macs using 10.8.0. 10.7 is not supported. BMD has ben testing overclocked 680s which give performance on par with stock 580s. Ultimately I suspect the 680 and 580 performance in reolve will be about even, but with enough driver optimization (hasn't happene yet) the 680s may be able to eek ahead.

[Kevin Cannon] "3.) Preferred screen resolution is higher now i think - does the interface just scale down for 1920x1200 displays, or are there any features that depend on a higher resolution? "
Nothing is lost at 1920x1200... just that the new GUI has a lot of info at the ready and benefits from a bit more real estate.

In fact V9 has a special layout for lower res configs, where it combines multiple pages in the color tab.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Arthur Dobbe
on Jul 31, 2012 at 10:52:50 pm

Resolve 8 ran fine on my hackintosh with a single GTX285 1GB, nearly realtime for most work. (Was waiting for the Mac Pro update that never came ....)

With Resolve 9 I get "out of GPU memory" dialogs all the time even with basic color corrections (1920x1080 ). So the requirements for the GPUs are also increased.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Aug 1, 2012 at 3:15:16 am

Hi Arthur, are you running the OS in 64 bit mode and have the correct CUDA and driver for that OS version?
Peter

Return to posts index

Fred Ricci
on Aug 1, 2012 at 10:35:33 am

Hi there.
The new config papers talks about GTX 570 as the good card. Is it the flashed macvid version or the standard pc?
Thanks.

NEHALEM OCTO 2,26
GT 120
GTX 285
8 Giga RAM
SOFT RAID 8 Tera
Wave
Eizo 243 + Hdlink displayport
DAV, COLOR, FINAL CUT AND MEDIA COMP

Return to posts index

Arthur Dobbe
on Aug 1, 2012 at 11:08:43 am

Yes, 64bit and CUDA driver that is recommended in the config guide (5.0.17).
After also upgrading to the latest Declink driver I have not seen any GPU warnings anymore.

Thanks for you support!

Arthur

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Aug 4, 2012 at 8:09:21 am

Thanks, got the 680 4GB versions powered by the Cubix. Price was close between 580s and 680s and I think the 680s are a better long-term prospect. Will continue to use the 1920x1080 displays for now...

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]