FORUMS: list search recent posts

DaVinci Resolve 9 Released

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Chamberlain
DaVinci Resolve 9 Released
on Jul 31, 2012 at 12:47:01 pm

We are pleased to announce the release of DaVinci Resolve v9 public beta. This includes Mac, Windows and Linux builds as well as Mac Lite and Windows Lite. With more than 90 new features and a completely redesigned interface to help you grade faster we hope you will visit our BMD support web page to download.
This update is available free for existing customers.
Peter

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: DaVinci Resolve 9 Released
on Jul 31, 2012 at 2:30:25 pm

thanks Peter. In July no less!

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:35:26 pm

A full 587 page manual too.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jul 31, 2012 at 7:24:24 pm

Peter, will there be a new, updated Linux install DVD for us Linux users? Will this use a newer version of CentOS than the CentOS 5.4 we got with Resolve 8? This would be useful to know to see if we update or reinstall.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Ernest Ratliff
on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:28:18 pm

I was excited, until I saw it only runs on Lion or Mountain Lion. Bloody shame, Lion is awful, and I'm not sure I'm willing to leave Snow Leopard just to get a better DaVinci.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:31:21 pm

I'm running Snow Leopard with no obvious issues.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Ernest Ratliff
on Jul 31, 2012 at 8:37:09 pm

Good to know, thank you, I was just going off what they had listed under minimum system requirements in the read me link on the download page.

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Aug 9, 2012 at 4:56:41 pm

jPo,

Are you still running R9 on Snow Leopard without any issues? I am hesitant to go to Lion for fear of screwing up FCP. I really want to upgrade to Resolve 9, however....

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT
DaVinci 8.2
OSX 10.6.8
MacPro 8-core 4,1 2.93 Ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GT120/GTX288 (CUDA 4.0.19)
Decklink Extreme3D+
Panny BT-LH1710P/ Panny BT-LH2600W
Tangent Wave

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 31, 2012 at 11:32:07 pm

I agree with Ernest. We are on Snow Leopard and it's working great for us. Wish that Blackmagic would keep Snow Leopard as an approved OS if possible.

-Peter

Return to posts index

John Pilgrim
on Aug 1, 2012 at 12:13:23 am

Anyone have issues with R8 and R9 coexisting on the same Snow Leopard machine?
I don't want to bogart my production machine.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Aug 1, 2012 at 12:31:06 am

If you want to run V8 and V9 alongside, just make sure you don't upgrade the V8 database when prompted after you install V9. Create a new DB for V9, and use it. If you want to go back to V8, just re-install V8, and it will work off the V8 database.

Please note that just copying the app bundle is not enough, you need to install the app each time you want to switch.

We also always recommending backing up your database before major upgrades.

Return to posts index

Bast Yani
on Aug 1, 2012 at 8:34:26 am

So, if I understand this correctly, we cannot have both versions installed on one machine at the same time? We just want to try out the v9 beta version but still keep our 8.2.2. for production work.
Is it possible?

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:02:00 am

[Rohit Gupta] "If you want to run V8 and V9 alongside, just make sure you don't upgrade the V8 database when prompted after you install V9. Create a new DB for V9, and use it. If you want to go back to V8, just re-install V8, and it will work off the V8 database."

My 2009 iMac with AMD Radeon 4850 GPU doesn't quite satisfy the requirements of Resolve I understand. However it did run version 8.x Lite but not in real time - fair enough. However every attempt with Resolve 9.0b1 causes the iMac (Mountain Lion, 16 GB RAM) to crash to machine. I did create a new database so I thought I'll go back to verify 8.2.2 works under Mountain Lion with my version 8 database. Reinstalled 8.2.2.

But 8.2.2 Lite won't load saying I'm not licensed and abruptly quitting without letting me proceed in any way. Never had a licensing issue before with the Lite. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Ideal solution is to buy a new iMac but need to wait until 2013.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:07:58 am

[Rohit Gupta] "If you want to run V8 and V9 alongside, just make sure you don't upgrade the V8 database when prompted after you install V9. Create a new DB for V9, and use it. If you want to go back to V8, just re-install V8, and it will work off the V8 database."

My 2009 iMac with AMD Radeon 4850 GPU doesn't quite satisfy the requirements of Resolve I understand. However it did run version 8.x Lite but not in real time - fair enough. However every attempt with Resolve 9.0b1 causes the iMac (Mountain Lion, 16 GB RAM, proper CUDA driver installed, nothing else using my precious GPU memory) to crash my machine as soon as I try to add media (sometimes I get to play the media briefly, other times immediately on touching the media, it crashes the machine. I can skim media fine. I did create a new database so I thought I'll go back to verify 8.2.2 works under Mountain Lion with my version 8 database. Reinstalled 8.2.2.

But 8.2.2 Lite won't load saying I'm not licensed and abruptly quitting without letting me proceed in any way. Never had a licensing issue before with the Lite. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Ideal solution is to buy a new iMac but need to wait until 2013.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 3, 2013 at 3:44:51 pm

Does Resolve 9 lite require a CUDA card? I purchased a new iMac and it has the nVidia GTX680MX in it.. so that's cool. But my present machine has an AMD 6970.. Resolve is running for the most part but it does get funky on masking.

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 3, 2013 at 3:50:22 pm

ok... found the requirments. all set. jumped the gun.

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jan 3, 2013 at 4:14:54 pm

[Brian Cooney] "Does Resolve 9 lite require a CUDA card? I purchased a new iMac and it has the nVidia GTX680MX in it.. so that's cool"

Yes, you have good CUDA capability in that new iMac. Congratulations.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:28:28 am

My 2009 iMac with AMD Radeon 4850 GPU doesn't quite satisfy the requirements of Resolve I understand. However it did run version 8.x Lite but not in real time - fair enough. However every attempt with Resolve 9.0b1 causes the iMac (Mountain Lion, 16 GB RAM) to crash to machine as soon as I try to add media (sometimes I get to play the media briefly, other times immediately on touching the media, it crashes the machine. I can skim media fine. I did create a new database so I thought I'll go back to verify 8.2.2 works under Mountain Lion with my version 8 database. Reinstalled 8.2.2.

One problem solved: I downloaded 8.2.2 from BMD website rather than taking the version from my old Downloads folder on the iMac. 8.2.2 works fine for me once again. Nice if 9.0 would do the same so I can get ready for processing files from the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (2013).

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]