FORUMS: list search recent posts

2x GPU's in SLI better then separate GUI card?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sigismund Pikul
2x GPU's in SLI better then separate GUI card?
on Jul 30, 2012 at 7:56:50 am

I'm putting together my first "serious" system, but I do a lot more then just color grading. The programs I use daily are Avid MC6, After Effects CS5.5, Resolve, & occasionally Premiere CS5.5, all on Mac OSX. From what I understand if I setup a cheaper GUI Card + a bigger dedicated GPU for Resolve my other programs will only take advantage of my weaker GUI card since thats what my monitor is plugged into. I also read that if you use one card as a GUI & GPU for Resolve it essentially cuts the GPU's performance in half, giving half to the GUI and half to the video processing.

So my question is, would it make sense for me to tie together a pair of GPU's via SLI, like two GTX670's? If two SLI connected GPU's are treated as one, big GPU, then After Effects, etc could use the full power of both cards, & I wouldn't lose any performance in Davinci over a GUI + GPU card since it would essentially be splitting the combined resources of two cards in half.

Sorry if I worded that weird, but does that make any sense at all? I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing here.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: 2x GPU's in SLI better then separate GUI card?
on Jul 30, 2012 at 8:53:10 am

On windows with the nvidia drivers you can specify which cards are used for what purposes. For example in my setup I have a quadro 4000 and two gtx580. My monitor is plugged in the quadro 4000. I did specify that one of the gtx 580 is used for open gl and another one for Cuda in after effects. I can verify that is exactly what's happening by using gfx cards monitoring software and boost in speed when compared to the default settings.
Hope this helps on your decision.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: 2x GPU's in SLI better then separate GUI card?
on Jul 31, 2012 at 3:51:00 am

Resolve configures the GPU cards and so you should not attempt to use SLI to set parameters.
If you require a faster GPU for the UI as well as the main Resolve image processing GPU, install one of the certified cards for each operation.
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]