FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid/Davinci Gamma Shifts in Export - Once again

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Branscombe
Avid/Davinci Gamma Shifts in Export - Once again
on Jul 26, 2012 at 10:01:54 pm

I'm sure you guys have seen the threads, I found a few of them while searching for a solution. Most of them outline how exporting Avid DNxHD can muck up your color because of the QT wrapper... however I'm trying to go directly from Resolve to Avid and there is a serious shift in the levels (specifically the blacks). I know part of the problem with this is that I don't have a proper video monitor, but I would have thought that AVID and Resolve would display it the same?

The details:
iMac 27"
Resolve 8.2
AMC 5

I couldn't get roundtrip to work, so I just exported the video from avid (Blackmagic RGB 10bit Codec) and brought it into Resolve to color. So far so good.

Now I'm trying to export out of resolve and get it back into Avid to add titles and sound, but the color just ain't right. For now I am exporting MXF so that I don't have to convert again when going back to Avid, but I'm not sure if this is right (I exported as MXF DNxHD 1080p 220/185/175 10bit).

I've attached a photo for reference of the image graded in resolve and the corresponding MXF once brought into Avid:
4439_screenshot20120726at5.48.21pm.png.zip

All I want to do is just get my color looking nice and export out a high res video for projection! Thanks and sorry for my lack of knowledge.

All I want to do i

Derek Branscombe
Photographer, Filmmaker, Student
Concordia MHSoC 2014

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Avid/Davinci Gamma Shifts in Export - Once again
on Jul 26, 2012 at 10:22:44 pm

Wondering if you have an RGB / legal video scaling issue. It would be obvious on a scope. Blacks crushed, Whites don't get past 90 IRE and gamma is wonked. Most of the time its an import/export issue.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]