FORUMS: list search recent posts

AAF Conform Problems

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Martin
AAF Conform Problems
on Jul 25, 2012 at 8:32:08 pm

This is the second gig we've had where this has been an issue so I thought someone might have some guidance...

We are conforming in Resolve from an Avid project and are having issues with Resolve executing the conform of the AAF from Avid. Here's what is going on...

1. We are using EDL's made from the multi layer AAF to first add selects into the media pool. This is working fine.

2. When we then attempt to conform with the AAF, Resolve is not linking back the clips (import clips has been turned off in the AAF option). We are left with an accurate timeline as far as layers, edit points, and source information, but clips will not link up.

We have run through the various assist settings under config and have Resolve pulling the right clip info.

3. All the source information in the Timeline EDL is spot on. We can even go through and "force conform" respective each clip no problem but my beer intake goes up as this is a long process that only one hand is needed for (no other jokes please).

4. Conforming with the same EDL's that were used to move selects works fine as well. Problem is we don't get all the repo information. On a project with lot's of repos this is a big deal.

Any thoughts on what is happening?

Cheers, Chris

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: AAF Conform Problems
on Jul 26, 2012 at 2:37:29 pm

First off, I don't understand your workflow.

But as far as re-linking goes, have you tried "Change Parent Directory"?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 27, 2012 at 12:49:29 am

Hi Chris,

I actually just sent an email to Blackmagic a few hours ago following up on this problem (I had reported it a few months back).

This is assuming it's the same Avid AAF problem that I have run into.

When you export the AAF from Avid is your sequence linked to any media, or are the clips offline?

I find that when I export the AAF from a sequence that is offline (which they often are since I don't have access to the red media in the Avid) the sequence will not link to anything in Resolve. All the clips are black and you have to manually link every single clip (quite painful).

Not sure why this this happens. Is this your experience too?

-Peter

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Jul 27, 2012 at 5:53:48 am

Hey Peter,

Yes we are creating AAF's from Avid project with offline media.

We usually have clients just give us an Avid Bin Project with locked cut so we can generate what we need as well as look under the hood. Now at least I know this is an issue. Problem with this AAF and XML read/write problems is that Avid will say it's on BM and vice versa. From BM's position it would be great to get this figured out. Thanks again for shedding light.

Cheers, Chris

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jul 27, 2012 at 6:35:06 am

Glad I could offer some info. I know how it is when the system is not working and you don't know why.

I'm sorry.. but I have to blame Blackmagic on this one. The AAF contains all the necessary information, but there must be some flag that says the clips are linked to media clips (or aren't and are unlinked).

Just need Resolve to ignore the fact that the clips are unlinked and just use the TC and reel name like it usually does. I wish they would respond to me about this problem (which I would call a bug). I've even sent them sample sequences and media but haven't heard anything yet unfortunately....

(I also have a separate problem where Resolve will not read tape/reel names on Avid MXF media if the clips came from tapeless sources. Avid doesn't give those clips 'tape names' but it has the metadata 'Source File Name'. Resolve needs to be able to read that metadata field if the Tape Name field is empty.)

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:28:08 pm

It's certainly a big buzz kill given the situation. I have to decide what will take less time between conforming edls as layers and manually matching repos or using an AAF anf force conforming shot by shot.

I'd call this a big ticket item to get straightened out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]