FORUMS: list search recent posts

Could i Share Resolve Database?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier Sanchez
Could i Share Resolve Database?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 11:29:46 pm

Well hi all,
I have 3 Resolve suites on our facility with no Xsan or server, but interconnected by Lan. Some times i use to send project from one suite to another with Export+ due changes of client but suites are busy so i have to send the client to another suite.

So the question is could i see the database of the other suite with mean get the stills the projects even if i don't have the media live to work with, just share the projects info and stay update with changes for all the suites?

Thanks

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Could i Share Resolve Database?
on Jul 19, 2012 at 11:36:56 pm

Yes. If they are full resolve licenses they can use a shared database for projects. However this doesn't work on resolve light.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Javier Sanchez
on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:28:00 pm

yes they are full, how do i have to configure it?

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jul 21, 2012 at 12:41:29 am

Have you looked at the manual? It's explained very clearly.

Return to posts index

James Milner-Smyth
on Jul 21, 2012 at 11:46:18 am

Hi Javier

If you have the full licenses you can share a database. Make sure you are all running the same versions.

You have to know the IP address of the grade you need to access. Then at the Resolve Login screen choose the Database Manager button at the bottom.

In the dialog screen press Connect. Now enter the exact name of the database you want to access, but instead of the localhost address of 127.0.0.1, enter the IP of the remote grade and press OK. If you have put this in correctly, that database will now be in your list of accessible databases and you can Select.

Just to note that while the stills information and thumbnail will be visible, the actual media file that gives you the viewer preview will be in the file path that was set up to that local machine which will not be the same as yours, unless you have set up a network share. You can still use those stills, you just can't get the preview in the viewer.

But if project sharing is something you are doing a lot your best bet is to set up a PostGres server on a central machine (and you can automate backups too). This is fairly easy although you may have to do a bit of digging as to the external Postgres access settings allowed (editing of the configuration files).

An issue you will find is that if you take a grade system off the network and Resolve runs without the network it will reset the Database Conf file which has the list of available databases. So you will need to reconnect them later. It is best to implement a structured naming convention for your databases that anyone can remember easily if they have to reconnect. Else you can use the PostGres Admin tool to browse the server for the database names to remind you. This is also a good tool for doing entire database backups: not just one project.

Hope that helps

James Milner-Smyth

CTO The Post Factory Group, London
Post Factory, Gear Factory, Look Factory
http://www.postfactory.co.uk
http://www.gearfactory.co.uk
http://www.lookfactory.co.uk

Return to posts index

leticia blanco
on Oct 25, 2013 at 7:37:40 pm

James Milner-Smyth,

I had the same question as Javier and your answer was very clear to me, thanks for that. (I had already read this topic on the manual and couldn't understand it.)
The only question I still have is about the media files. The way I understood, if I share the database with a Resolve that's being used in another city, for example, the operator there must have a copy of the files I'm using here. Is that correct?

thank you very much

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]