We are currently working on a new show at the stage where we want to bring our Picture Locked sequence from Avid Media Composer 220.127.116.11 into Davinci Risolve 8.2
Our sequence contains mainly 1080p 29.97 footage which is also the delivery format. We also have some clips that were shooted on 30p so we have Drop Frame (DF) and Non Drop frame (NDF) clips mixed and on top of that we have a lot of archive footage in different frame rates (mainly QTs).
To exchange the sequence between Avid and Davinci we are trying to work with an AAF that relinks to our Media Files as we would like to get handles in every clip.
We are trying to avoid using the scene cut detection tool (videomixdown/quicktime with an EDL) process.
According to what I read on the manuals Davinci Risolve 8.2 can´t bring DF and NDF into the same sequences.
To work around this issue we have been trying the following workflow in Avid in order to bring all our clips to 1080p 29.97 DF:
1. Cleaning our sequence - We brought everything down to Video track 1 and 2 to make our sequence as simple as possible
2. We also removed all the Video FX Davinci is not supposed to understand.
3. We now show the reference clips contained in the sequence, select them all and modify clips from non drop frame to drop frame
4. We now transcode our sequence in DNxHD 145 expecting to have all our new clips converted into the 1080p 29.97 DF
5. We export our AAF from our transcoded sequence so now is ready to go in Davinci.
6. Finally we import the AAF in the Davinci. The DF clips relink without any problem but all the original NDF clips and different frame rate clips will appear offline.
Any thoughts or experience on this??
Does Davinci 9 (coming out soon) is supposed to improve this compatibilities?