FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed R3D frame rates

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Sellars
Mixed R3D frame rates
on Jul 15, 2012 at 7:25:20 pm

I have a project that was shot on the MX in 23.98 in the US, and 24 in another country. The R3D's were transcoded to ProRes for FCP 7 using both Log and Transfer, and Redcine. The FCP timeline has these mixed frame rates in the edit, and the sound design has been completed.

I want to work with the raw R3D files in Resolve (lots of clipped highlights in the ProRes files, plus I want the option of doing a 4k DCP). My question is, even if the 24fps ProRes clips were flipped to 23.98 using Cinema Tools, and re-cut in, what happens when I relink to the R3D's and round trip? Will Resolve force 23.98 on all clips and will everything line up? I don't have any of the media yet to test, just want to be ready…

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Mixed R3D frame rates
on Jul 15, 2012 at 9:50:09 pm

Haven't had to reconcile something like this, but my bet is that on a clip-by-clip basis you won't notice any difference. Even SR decks can correct for the 1000/1001 pitch difference in real time playback, and certainly the raw pickup points won't be different.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Marcus Smith
on Jul 15, 2012 at 11:48:20 pm

Yes, davinci will force one frame rate upon everything. To ensure you have a frame accurate conform I would change everything to 23.98 and check it in fcp before going out to davinci.

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Jul 16, 2012 at 2:17:03 pm

last week i had almost the same issue but considerably worse : edit done mixing 23.98 and 29.97 on a 29.97 timeline .

off course FCP in that circumstance add pulldown (actually it repeat 1 frame every 5 ) and that is it , but resolve cannot do that , so as far as i know the only way to finish the R3D is to have 2 sessions : one for the 29.97 (EDL prepped on a 29.97 timeline ) and one for 23.98 having those shots copied and pasted on a 23.98 timeline (for edl)

than final conform somewhere else . it would be cool if resolve could apply progressive pulldown to shots for this kind of circumstance ...

unless there is a workaround for this already ..

g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

John Sellars
on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:19:35 pm

Thanks all, I am still waiting for the media…

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Jul 24, 2012 at 4:09:10 pm

I have this problem with 720p25, 720p50 and 1080p25 material mixed in one 720p25 FCPX-timeline. Resolve won´t open the XML.

So the only possible workaround is to select the various frame rates (FCPX roles system might be handy here) and export them each as one session?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]