FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pointers to teal orange look

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Krueger
Pointers to teal orange look
on Jul 11, 2012 at 7:33:59 pm

Hi,

first of all, I am a complete resolve newbie, so please be patient with me. I thought this must be one of the FAQs but I haven't found anything in the archive. I was expecting some feature or UI to remap the image's colors to a palette with mostly teal and orange tones and a few basic tones but looking through the manual, I didn't find anything. Of course a prepared 3D-LUT would do the job but that would not allow direct tweaking and even if that is the solution, where do I find one for that kind of grade? Are there public LUT archives somewhere or is this a treasure everyone keeps to themselves?

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Robert

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Pointers to teal orange look
on Jul 11, 2012 at 8:38:42 pm

Hey Robert..
The Resolve manual is of course one for the software, not for style.
Basically you wanna key the skin tones, make the key 100% soft, invert it and dial in cyan or reduce everything else and get more contrast.
That normally does it , if not get a parallel node with the non inverted key, desaturate the natural skin tones to 50% or less and dial in orange.
Voila...

And try to find some good courses...

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Robert Krueger
on Jul 12, 2012 at 11:54:30 am

Hi Sascha,

thanks for the feedback! I will try that.

I have been looking for ways to achieve that look for a while reading a lot of material on the web and mostly doing my grading with 3-way-cc in FCP7. There are people out there claiming that you can achieve that look by just pushing darks into teal and highlights into orange. However, since I have been looking to solve that mistery, I have stared at so many examples from blockbusters where it simply could not have been the solution because in the same picture there were examples of both very saturated teal and orange midtones and not a mixture of the two at least it appeared that way. That is why I thought it must be more of a palette-like approach where you push anything that is closer to teal than to orange more in the teal direction and vice versa (while leaving skin tones mostly untouched).

Let me know what you think you these thoughts if you have the time and inclination. I will try your approach as my first resolve project.

Cheers and thanks again,

Robert

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:02:37 pm

Well, the other thing is that people doing Transformers also spend a lot .. A LOT of time and money on light.
Also set dressing...you cant go with a 5D and a cheapo 2kw , shot normal people with no makup in normal light and hope it will look like "No country for old men"
Resolve may be cheap now, but the rest is not...
I suggest you get yourself Johannes ittens "The art of color" and some color correction books.
Also the fxpHD course Warren did is an amazing starting point.
But just dialing the darks cyan and highlight orange is...sorry...bullshit ;)
Because what you will get is this :
http://www.lodownmagazine.com/index.php?page=33&modaction=showItem&id=2543
Polaroid look...

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Robert Krueger
on Jul 12, 2012 at 2:57:59 pm

Yes, of course, one would have to see the original shots of those movies and see how much of it was done in lighting and yes, I know that you need HQ footage for it to hold up in more than subtle grading. I wasn't expecting to be able to produce a Transformers look with a hacked GH2 and a set of 200$ LED lights but finding out first-hand where the limits are, is indeed something I'd like to spend some time on.

The book I've read on the subject so far was "Color Correction for Video" by Hullfish and Fowler. I will check out your recommendations on books and courses.

Thanks a lot for your time and insights!

Cheers,

Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]