FORUMS: list search recent posts

RedColor2/RedGamma2 -to-> Rec709 3D LUT

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Pilgrim
RedColor2/RedGamma2 -to-> Rec709 3D LUT
on Jul 6, 2012 at 11:22:23 pm

Hi all,

Does anyone have a 3D viewing and output LUT for Resolve to convert RedColor2/RedGamma2 -to-> Rec709 that they'd like to share?

Context:
I didn't prep the ftg but my client rendered the Red source ftg into RedColor2/RedGamma2 ProRes4x4 with Red Cine X (for some clips) and Nuke (for other clips).
The target color space for delivery is Rec 709.

Thanks in advance!
John

Return to posts index

Mike Lary
Re: RedColor2/RedGamma2 -to-> Rec709 3D LUT
on Jul 7, 2012 at 7:14:48 am

Maybe I'm not understanding your question properly, but there's no reference to RedColor or RedGamma in transcoded footage. A color transform is performed during transcoding - from your source color space to that defined by your output (in this case whichever flavor of ProRes was selected). You would only need to identify the RedColor/RedGamma preferences if you're working with R3Ds natively.

Mike Lary
Digital Factory
Seoul, South Korea

Return to posts index

Oyvind Stiauren
on Jul 7, 2012 at 9:14:35 am

Hi.

RC2 and RG2 are the recommended settings for converting RED material to Rec. 709.

I am not trying to make your life more difficult here, but I just want to mention that i've had issues rendering Quicktimes in HD with Nuke. It's a bit complicated to explain briefly but In my experience HD Quicktime files made by Nuke have Rec.601 luma coeffecients hard coded in stead of Rec.709 luma coefficients. The file has a flag to indicate this, and some software, like FCP will compensate for this during decoding, but other software might not. I only have the Linux version of Resolve, so I am not sure what Resolve for Mac does. If the files are not decoded correctly colors will be slightly different from what it should be, and it will often give a difficult magenta color in the skin tones. I would recommend just using REDCINE-X for conversion.

--
Oyvind Stiauren
Post production supervisor, Colorist
Terminal

Mexico City

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jul 7, 2012 at 9:48:49 am

Agreed

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

John Pilgrim
on Jul 7, 2012 at 6:21:17 pm

Some of the camera ftg is having compositing done, hence the rendering from Nuke.

If some ftg is coming straight from RCX, and other is getting comped and coming from Nuke, for the best grading workflow, should the Nuke write node render to RedColor or to Rec709?

And if Nuke is rendering to RedColor, do i need a LUT in Resolve?

John

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jul 7, 2012 at 8:17:40 pm

First rule of thumb, write down what you use, and use it in all apps. Experiment which debayer works best, I tend to use RC3 or RLF
Second thing, try to either use RedLogFilm or bring it into true linear using EXR if heavy compositing and 3D in involved.
If not, see Rule Nr 1 ;)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

John Pilgrim
on Jul 7, 2012 at 9:20:26 pm

You're preaching to the choir Sascha.
Sometimes one doesn't have control over -- or even full accurate knowledge of -- what a client has done upstream of the conform/grading process.
John

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Jul 8, 2012 at 4:17:50 am

Writing out of Nuke with 709 node is going to limit your grading range in Resolve. We've had issues with Nuke and QuickTime as well. DPX or Tifs better options. DPX if you need to preserve timecode.

Chris

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Jul 27, 2012 at 9:48:48 am

I agree with that.

Try to keep all detail as possible in pipeline and in the end just make 709.

There is no point to worry about that in the middle.

You can monitor 709 with proper calibration profile on your monitor.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]