FORUMS: list search recent posts

Z800 resolve and GTX 690

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Collict
Z800 resolve and GTX 690
on Jul 6, 2012 at 5:28:02 pm

Hi guys,
I read the resolve forum quite a lot and this is my first post, so here goes...
Basically, I'm setting up a new resolve system on a Z800, originally it was going to have a Cubix and four GTX 580s, unfortunately, in the uk their like gold dust so I've started to look at other cuda cards. I spoke to black magic and apparently on the PC any Cuda card is compatable with resolve even if it's not Certified.

As far as I can see the 680s are about the same performance as the 580s just a little more expensive so I was thinking about getting them instead, but then I noticed the 590 and 690. In resolve, the 590 shows up as two separate GPUs, but both are slightly slower than a single 580 so Nvidia can fit them onto one card easier.
The interesting thing about the 690 is that it keeps the single GPU topology dispite having two 680s on board, the two GPUs are again slightly slower but the Clock boost feature closes that gap.
So in therory, this card should be a lot more powerful than a 580 and, I could have four in my cubix, resolve should see four GPUs, but I actually have eight.
Having said that I'm not going to think of this as a dual GPU card, Just a really powerful single GPU, as thats how resolve should see it.

So with that logic I've ordered one....

Just wondered if anyone agrees or if you can see any problems that may pop up.

I hope it works, those cards ain't cheep!

Glenn

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
Re: Z800 resolve and GTX 690
on Jul 6, 2012 at 6:28:26 pm

The only thing I know is that Im very curious how your results will be. Maybe you can partipate in one of the benchmark posts from last week, posted in the Davinci basics and configuration forum.

Good luck!

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Glenn Collict
on Jul 7, 2012 at 12:22:20 pm

Yeah sure, the card is coming on the 9th so I'll have the results up by the end of the day =]

Return to posts index

SeigeA O'Reilly
on Mar 14, 2013 at 8:15:59 am

Any luck with the Cubix box and 680s Glenn?
I heard some say the benefits may not be so great given the 680s use PCIe v3, but the Cubix boxes only have PCIe 2?

How has the setup been for you?

Return to posts index

Glenn Collict
on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:51:15 pm

Thats not really a problem, the BIG problem is for some reason i can only use 3 of 4 cards... if i use all 4 resolve crashes, Really annoying as those cards aint cheep. i think its a windows thing because redcine x crashes too and as far as i know that doesn't use cuda. But even with 3 cards 4K 10bit DPX is a breeze =]

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Mar 20, 2013 at 2:19:06 pm

Sounds like your power supply is failing, I would imagine 4 690s at full blast would approach 1400W, considering the Cubix Desktop 4 is rated for 1200, i think we can guess where your problem lies. The new Xpander Desktop Elite is rated for 1500W, btw.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Glenn Collict
on Mar 20, 2013 at 2:30:16 pm

sorry i was answering seigeA's question, i'm using 4 680 4GB, the power supply is ok, I think they go up to 250w. 4 in a cubix on linux are qualified... and the first resolve 9 config guide said they were qualified for windows... but there not in the later versions. pretty gutted.

Return to posts index

Ola Haldor Voll
on Jul 7, 2012 at 1:17:55 pm

Just to check if I've missed something. You can actually fit four GTX GPUs in a single Cubix Expander? I've thought all the time that it can hold a maximum of either four single width (Like the Quadro and Red Rocket) or two double width (like the GTX).

Please tell me if I'm wrong, I'd love to smash two GTX and a Rocket in a Cubix.

Return to posts index

Glenn Collict
on Jul 7, 2012 at 1:25:52 pm

With the desktop 4 you can fit 4 double wide cards, plenty of power for bigger cards too =]

Return to posts index

steve voyk
on Jul 25, 2012 at 3:27:35 pm

Hi Glenn,
Did you have any luck with the 690 card ? I'd be curious to know the results...
Cheers, Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Collict
on Aug 8, 2012 at 1:13:59 pm

Hi sorry for the delayed response,
I didn't go with the 690's in the end, they were so hard to get hold of I ended up getting 4x EVGA 680 4GB's. having some issues with them, if i have 1,2 or 3 in my Cubix Resolve runs fine, if i have 4, I get picture out of HDSDI but a white viewer on the computer monitor and if I import into media pool resolve crashes. also RedCine X Pro crashes instantly if i have 4 cards in but its fine with 1,2 or 3. Can't seem to find the problem! Im on the correct version of cuda as far as i know!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]