FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting Dream Color to Mac Pro and use Da Vinci.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Garcia
Connecting Dream Color to Mac Pro and use Da Vinci.
on Jul 6, 2012 at 9:47:13 am

Hi Everyone,
I understood by reading the forums that Dream Color needs an RGB signal to work correctley and that to use it with Da Vinci I needed to purchase a Declink HD extreme 3D and a HD link.

We got the Decklink HD installed and surprisingly Da VInci recognised the monitor and seems to work fine.

Am I getting a true representation? DO I still need an HD link?

Also I saw in another forum that HD link does not transmit 25fps which is needed here in PAL-land

I am obviously very new at these and I hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you!

David

Return to posts index

Christian Bille
Re: Connecting Dream Color to Mac Pro and use Da Vinci.
on Jul 6, 2012 at 9:51:49 am

If I have understood correctly, the way you're hooking it up, bypasses the color profiles in the monitor t at you need for correct evaluation.

Return to posts index

David Garcia
on Jul 6, 2012 at 10:14:48 am

Hi Christian,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I am connecting Dreamcolor via HDMI directly from the HD extreme 3D card.

Da VInci is recognizing the monitor and showing me the image, which seems good.
I just dont know if it is an accurate representation or not.
Also with this connection the monitors color space can only be set on FULL.

Return to posts index

Boris Tivchev
on Jul 6, 2012 at 10:42:12 am

Not sure if this is of any help...

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/atepper/story/hp_dreamcolor_mac_conn...

Return to posts index

Boris Tivchev
on Jul 6, 2012 at 11:38:28 am

Sorry, didn't see that link has been posted already...

Return to posts index

David Garcia
on Jul 6, 2012 at 3:10:36 pm

Black Magic has anwsered my email. They say that as long as the colors look ok it should be working without using the HDlink pro

The card will directly output from the timeline, so there is no OS GUI or other processing going on. The card is directly outputting from the timeline, so this will be a true representation. The only thing that will need to be checked is the colour calibration of the monitor. Please refer to your monitor's manual to do this.

The only thing that I noticed is that Im not able to select a different color space in the monitor but I can only set it up as FULL

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Jul 6, 2012 at 7:16:16 pm

OK.... so I also use a Dream Color as well. If the DC says "FULL" and will not allow you to change the color profile this means that one or both of the following conditions are present with regard to the signal going TO the DC.

1) Interlaced video of some sort... probably 1080i or 1080psf. The DC MUST have a true progressive signal. I have a BMD card that does not have HDMI so I must use the HDLink Pro.

2) Signal going TO the DC is not RGB.

If you are feeding the Dream Color anything other then a PROGRESSIVE, RGB signal you will not be able to use the color management built into the monitor. FInd a way to make the signal 1080p, RGB.

ALSO, in order to utilize the 10-bit color depth you must be connected to either the DisplayPort or HDMI. 10-bit is not available from any of the other ports. A few years ago someone from HP made a very detailed post in this forum... it is worth searching for.

Return to posts index

David Garcia
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:02:10 pm

That makes a lot of sense.

However, for the time being, is the color shown on the display less accurate for being interlace? Is it going to be so wrong by using the FULL setting?

I am only using DSLR footage at the moment which is not 10bit.

Next month I will be using Red in which case I can understand the need to upgrade and get the HD link pro and... I guess the calibration kit to complete the set up

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Jul 6, 2012 at 8:12:11 pm

If you use the HP prob and calibrate the monitor you could use a LUT to setup the display. The monitor needs to be profiled to give you predictable results. You may want to do a grade then check it on a known reference monitor if you are able. That's a tough one... depends what you are targeting the color for.

At the lease you will probably have issues in the blacks if you grade on that monitor in FULL if you are grading for rec709. P3 will be a disaster. For the web it would probably be OK'ish.

The "interlaced" thing and why the color processing won't work is an arbitrary issue. It has to do with the color engine HP built into the monitor and that it can't/won't process interlaced frames. I'd guess that interlaced frames require more processing power then was available on the hardware that they put in. Other color management systems have no problems with interlacing.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jul 7, 2012 at 5:04:15 pm

And please dont forget that the Decklink HDMI out AND the older HDLink are not able to output 10 or 12 bit 444.
Only using 3G or Dual Link SDI into the NEW HDLink Display port you will get the full signal.
The Decklink HDMI out does 422 only afaik.
We have a JVC RS35 which shows the input being 8 10 or 12 bit and cleary, the first two options only give 8 bit.
So to get the best from the Dreamcolor utilized as grading screen, you need to get both...
Frankly, I say ditch the idea, use it as your primary display and get a nice Plasma or old CRT as grading screen.
Also because I have multiple experiences of DreamColors being all over the place, color wise.
A proper CineSpace profile2colorspace LUT will tackle them, the HP software does not.
There is a reason they are gone..

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

David Garcia
on Jul 8, 2012 at 6:51:36 pm

Hi Sascha,

Thank you for your answer. I didnt understand something... let me explain

I already have a Dream Color and the Decklink HD 3D extreme. It is my understanding that even though I am getting the image and Resolve works on the monitor I cant swith away from the FULL color profile, so that is not good

Next step is getting a HDlink which will give me the RGB signal. or something like the AJA HDP2... not sure which is best for my needs but I thought keeping it all with Black Magic made sense, and I think is cheaper.

I would connect via HDMI into the Dream color, which I thought was 10 bit. Where am I losing/ changing to 8 bit? on the website it says that Decklink is 444 10-bit

Thank you for all you help, I hope what I wrote is not too obvious, it is just that this whole set up is complicated when starting out.

cheers

From what you are telling me I wont be getting a 10 bit signal this way

Return to posts index

David Garcia
on Jul 9, 2012 at 8:41:37 am

HI,

I thibk Ive figured it out. Confirmation from someone would be great.

Decklink HD 3D extreme, which I already have, via HD-sdi into the HDLINK box.
From HDLINK via DISPLAY PORT into Dreamcolor should give us 10 bit, RIGHT!???

I mean that is right, isnt...? Im going crazy...

:)

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jul 9, 2012 at 10:01:58 am

Thats it :)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>