FORUMS: list search recent posts

Databaseserver issue

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
prathvish hegde
Databaseserver issue
on Jun 27, 2012 at 1:04:02 pm

hi all,

we have a database server(linux) set up between our linux resolve and mac resolve. we are able to share the projects between both systems the problem is the project data is offlineon either one of the machine (the path of projectdata on the linux resolve shows /mnt/ol01/lux where as on the mac resolve it is /volumes/mnt/ol01/lux) if i want to access the progect data i have to change parent directory on the mac to that of linux but if i go back to linux and log into the lux project the media is offline to get back the data i need to change parent directory again to what it was earlier.
am i doing something wrong or is it the way the database server works???

thanks in advance

prathvish hegde

colorist
(davinci 2kplus and resolve)

prathvish hegde
colorist

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
Re: Databaseserver issue
on Jun 27, 2012 at 1:49:02 pm

Depends on how you have your storage set up but you should be able to select the /mnt folder on the mac when setting up the storage in Resolve so it always points at /mnt rather than just /

Should work

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:10:06 am

I'd recommend setting up your mountpoints so the paths are identical on both machines. Both Linux and Mac OS (like all Unix derivatives) actually allow you to mount stuff where you want, using /mnt on Linux and /Volumes on Mac OS are just conventions. So you can make the paths match on both machines. This will make things smoother for other software too, not just Resolve.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jun 28, 2012 at 9:37:41 am

We recommend using /Volumes/xyz as mount point to keep it consistent with Mac OS X.

Return to posts index

prathvish hegde
on Jun 28, 2012 at 3:26:11 pm

hi all
thanks for the answers. it would be great if someone shares how to point the mac to the /mnt folder instead of the /volumes folder.

rohit the source file is on the storage and is connected through a fibercable and it shows up(mounts) in linux as /mnt/sourcedata and on mac the storage mount as volumes .is it possible to point the mac to read the same location(/mnt)??? how ?

prathvish hegde
colorist

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Jun 30, 2012 at 11:37:45 am

On Linux you can manually tell it to mount on /Volumes/

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jun 30, 2012 at 12:48:18 pm

On Linux, just edit the /etc/fstab file to mount at the /Volumes/xyz

Remember to make the mount points first using mkdir command on Linux first.

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Jul 1, 2012 at 5:24:06 pm

This brings up what I believe to be a serious shortcoming in Resolve's implementation of the postgres database.

Southpaw Software's Tactic (asset management software) also uses postgres and works extremely well in multi-platform environments. Specifically, it has a configuration file that allows the adminstrator to set the OS specific paths in an XML file that postgres subesquently uses to point to appropriate mount points/directories in each OS. That way it is not necessary to try and bend one OS mounting convention to another. I set up such a postgres database that ran flawlessly (in that respect anyway) on Linux, OSX, and Windows, even though each OS was administered to adhere to it's mount conventions.

I implore Blackmagic Design to adopt a similar system. That would end this problem once and for all.

thanks,

John T.

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jul 2, 2012 at 2:10:23 am

This sounds like an enormously complicated way of solving this "problem". The database server has nothing to do with it, this is a question of mountpoints, and as other have pointed out, it's really easy to adjust those.

That Resolve could potentially map directory names would be possible, but that's totally independent of the database server anyway.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

prathvish hegde
on Jul 2, 2012 at 4:21:45 pm

hi

thanks rohit,dan will try the fix and everyone for the support

happy resolving

prathvish hegde
colorist

Return to posts index