FORUMS: list search recent posts

XML Import via XSAN?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Ryan Stemple
XML Import via XSAN?
on Jun 22, 2012 at 12:59:57 am

Hi there, guys. I've been testing this out to what seems to be no avail, but I wanted to check to see if this was a definite no-go. Here's what I wanna do.

1) Export an XML from FCP 7, with media and XML on an XSAN array.
2) Import that XML into Resolve, color it, and export an XML.
3) Relink the colored footage via the XML in FCP.

Thus far, as I said, I've been having no luck getting the footage to match how it is laid out in the FCP sequence. I can see the footage in the Resolve just fine, and can work with it, but it's all in seemingly random places in the edit.

As I'm importing the XML, I see several yellow errors that say that it cannot match to the sequence because of no information in the "reels." Is this simply an error with this particular sequence, or does it have to do with the fact that Resolve and XML don't play together very well over XSAN? I believe that this was shot with a mix of Panasonic camcorders and Canon DSLRs, with all media transcoded to ProRes (HQ).

Any ideas would be helpful! Will continue to test.

--
Carl Ryan Stemple
Color | Edit | VFX
digitalbarbershop.com

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: XML Import via XSAN?
on Jun 22, 2012 at 1:54:06 am

Sounds like your footage doesn't have proper reel name and timecode. It also helps if you consolidate it in one folder.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Carl Ryan Stemple
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:05:49 am

I had considered as much. I did in fact use Media Manager to consolidate all of the media into a single folder, to the same result.

I think you're right, about my lack of reel information and or time code. I'm more inclined to think it's a lack of reel information than timecode, as we make a point to make sure that all clips edited have unique timecode. Exactly what is nessecary for correct reel information going into Resolve? Is it at all related to clip name?

Pardon my apparent ignorance - I've never run into a reel info issue with an edit outside of Avid before.

--
Carl Ryan Stemple
Color | Edit | VFX
digitalbarbershop.com

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jun 22, 2012 at 5:48:05 am

Reel name is embedded in the file. You can add a reel name by using the Modify>Timecode command and making sure the clip has a source TC track enabled and a reel name. Important that you don't have repeating time code with the same reel name. Generally I do a unique reel Id for tapeless workflows that incorporates that day and the card so "A_D1C1" "A_D1C2" etc. with the first letter representing the camera source.

Resolve uses the combination or reel name & TC to conform the XML.

Return to posts index

Carl Ryan Stemple
on Jun 22, 2012 at 11:09:40 am

That's incredibly helpful, Juan! Going into the office early right now to assign relevant reel numbers and retry my XML. Will post on here with the results.

Thanks a ton!

--
Carl Ryan Stemple
Color | Edit | VFX
digitalbarbershop.com

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:24:55 pm

If you have any problems try addin reel names and then consolidating via media manager.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Jun 26, 2012 at 6:52:26 pm

Juan, shouldn't he also change the Reel Interpretation? Assuming it's not set to Embedded Reel information...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]