FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid Media Composer + Red Epic HDRX + 2K Davinci Workflow

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Salvador Abarca
Avid Media Composer + Red Epic HDRX + 2K Davinci Workflow
on Jun 19, 2012 at 5:15:46 pm

Hi Everybody!

We just made some workflow testing and we ended up with a ton of questions we are still trying to figure out.

*this is the final project:

To begin with, Working with the epic footage is quite cool now that you can "MagicBlend" your shots straight in Davinci Resolve, the only things is that even our davinci workstation is quite a beast, it was impossible to render the final project at Full Quality Premium Res. *would the RedRocket Card help in this cases?

Anyway, this is what we did. and we would like to get some feedback.

Ingest Epic Footage to our server.
Edit in Avid Media Composer at 1080p
Export AAF sequence to Davinci.
Import the "Clean" edit into Davinci.
*Here we had our first problem, we needed to send Plates to out VFX team, some shots had time ramps, and we could not figure out how to get a clean session (No transition, speed changes and added handles inside Davinci) so we made a second AAF with the clean shots to the VFX department *Is there a way to make this a little bit easier?
Once we finish Color grading the Session, we tried to export the individual shots to "re/ensamble them" Back in Avid, but we had the 1080p limitation and we needed to test the 2k output, so we could find a way to make it work, but exporting the session with all the time ramps, crops, etc.
This was quite a let down, because we could not figure out how to make the re-assemble the online high quality material. and Ended up, doing our "Online" in FCP. *Any tip on how to make this work? i mean, the full turn arund between avid and davinci?
After that, we sent the edit to audio, and ended up finishing it, in Final cut (wich we are not that big of a fans)

Any idea on how to improve this experience would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Salvador Abarca
Creative Director / Monster, GC.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Avid Media Composer + Red Epic HDRX + 2K Davinci Workflow
on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:45:46 pm

[Salvador Abarca] "Once we finish Color grading the Session, we tried to export the individual shots to "re/ensamble them" Back in Avid, but we had the 1080p limitation and we needed to test the 2k output, so we could find a way to make it work, but exporting the session with all the time ramps, crops, etc.
This was quite a let down, because we could not figure out how to make the re-assemble the online high quality material. and Ended up, doing our "Online" in FCP. *Any tip on how to make this work? i mean, the full turn arund between avid and davinci?"

Are you not aware of the "AAF round trip" option in the render window? This will establish a relinking protocol to identify the rendered media within a new AAF (requires an original from AVID MC or Symphony). In "Conform", you "export" a new file which will be named *project name*(Resolve).aaf . Very, very similar now to a Final Cut round trip as we knew it in Apple COLOR. I do create a new, numbered, directory in the AvidMediaFiles/MXF path to help isolate the fresh media. Whether this is totally necessary, I don't really know, but it helps with organization. At the very least, the new .mdb that is created when AVID is booted can be dragged into a new bin for analysis and backup.

At the end of the day, however, finishing in Final Cut7 should not be that big an impediment, as exhaustive testing has shown that titling remains slightly higher quality in the Apple system.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mario Radinovic
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:25:07 pm

I'm very new to DaVinci resolve. So far I have made only few tests linking ProRes video.
Is it possible to export/render graded ProRes 4444 clips into DNxHD? How would I go about it?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:11:23 pm

Yes, you should be able to export ProRes clips as MXF/DNxHD.

Return to posts index

Mario Radinovic
on Jun 22, 2012 at 5:03:47 pm

Sorry, but I couldn't find "export" button.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jun 22, 2012 at 6:07:53 pm

Apple R... it's the render page.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Jun 20, 2012 at 6:52:13 pm

I'm still waiting for RED to figure out getter greater latitude with one exposure like Sony and Arri...

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]