FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and Transfer P2 footage into Resolve??

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jones
Log and Transfer P2 footage into Resolve??
on Jun 19, 2012 at 4:44:04 am

I've just started shooting on a HPX-170. I know how to Log and Transfer footage on P2 cards into FCP, but I'm wondering if I can input the source footage into Resolve directly so that I can then render out ProRes files, or even DPX.

I'd prefer to render the source footage from Resolve over FCP but I'm not sure if it's possible. I tried to simply add the contents folder of the P2 footage into the Media Pool.. but it didn't add it.

I'm not sure if there is a "log and transfer" as there is in FCP.

Has anyone done what I'm trying to do?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Log and Transfer P2 footage into Resolve??
on Jun 19, 2012 at 5:21:21 am

Hi Chris,

Currently Resolve only supports the codec/container combinations listed in this PDF:

http://blackmagic-design.com/media/2588311/davinci_resolve_8.2_supported_co...

While DVCPRO-HD is a supported codec it is not supported in an MXF container. Only in MOV. And AVCIntra, isn't supported in any container, and will require transcoding to something like ProRes or DNxHD.

Resolve does not have a "Log & Transfer" function... that is only in FCP.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Jun 19, 2012 at 5:34:50 am

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the quick response!

I had a feeling it didn't... oh well...

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jun 21, 2012 at 10:48:26 pm

As an aside, don't worry about rendering in FCP first if you're going from DVCPROHD to ProRes 422 HQ. ProRes is so much higher quality than the source, in practice very close to uncompressed, that you're unlikely to lose anything.

When working on projects sourced from video, we regularly convert everything to ProRes 422 HQ first just to homogenize it, even if the final result is going to (yet) another codec. It's just easier to work with.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Jun 21, 2012 at 11:38:16 pm

Thanks for the response.

After a bunch of test I ended up with what you suggested - PR HQ. It does look very nice.

Have you found there are any tricks to better quality or things to avoid when transcoding to ProRes. For example I found when I transcoded to PR4444 my whites were boosted and some of the top ends clipped - I'm not sure why.

Just curious if you have found using Compressor, Sorrenson Squeeze of FCP makes any difference, or of they are all about the same.

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jun 22, 2012 at 5:40:23 am

FCP and Compressor are, in my experience, always the same, which makes sense, given that they're both Apple products and probably use a lot of the same tech internally.

Sorenson I haven't used in a long time, but I seem to remember it had more problems with color shifts and so on. Not that Apple is free of that, their h.264 implementation in particular is pretty atrocious.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on Jun 23, 2012 at 3:26:09 pm

Thanks,

That's interesting about Squeeze. Compressor it is then :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]