FORUMS: list search recent posts

Formats and Speed Changes

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Edwards
Formats and Speed Changes
on Jun 13, 2012 at 12:12:53 pm

Hello,

I'm working on a feature that's running on a budget and I want to be able to advise post properly about the material I will be getting. I'm used to short format commercials, where you take the speed effects off of each clip and later the smoke/flame handles that clip. This time the material is coming from FCP 6, and will be conformed in 6 as well. In the past I've had issues with XMLs and speed changes; they just don't link up properly when put back in the FCP timeline. The work around was just to lay in the whole digital clip. I read on a different post that you must export that XML immediately after rendering all the files, and perhaps when I did the XML roundtrip, sometimes I would have to (for different reasons) go back and forth rendering clips.

Anyway, if I have to ask them to lay down the whole clip in for the XML, it would be a big undertaking for rendering, as these clips are huge.

The second thing is I want to be sure that when using sony f3, resolve grades the quicktime files (apple xdcam ex) and NOT the raw files that the camera produces, correct? I haven't used this camera yet.

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
Re: Formats and Speed Changes
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:26:16 pm

I would ask them if they could render out the speed changes and reimport the changed quicktime file. It will save you worrying about it and makes the whole round trip easier.

On the codec front I'd check the resolve supported codec PDF just to be safe but I think XDCAM in a .mov wrapper should work.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:45:30 pm

I checked out that PDF. It says the Apple XDCAM can be decoded 'with final cut installed', so as long as I have final cut that should be fine.

I'm wondering more about the speed changes, and I think there might be an issue with a key framed speed ramp in FCP as opposed to a speed change when relinking the files.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 13, 2012 at 4:57:33 pm

[William Edwards] " I think there might be an issue with a key framed speed ramp in FCP"

Right you are. A constant speed change would be okay -- round tripped those many times personally, but a non-linear speed map is a no-no. One of the reasons that all media on a sequence must be the same frame rate is that the application calculates the in points and durations of clips based on the project frame rate and absolute frame count -- but it only does the math once, and if there are non-linearitites in that, it is game over.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Jun 13, 2012 at 5:29:54 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Have you tried this out on a constant speed change in which 2 clips were cut from the same source video? Based on what you said, this doesn't seem like it would be an issue, but I like to be certain of any variables!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 13, 2012 at 9:49:40 pm

Although the two instances from the same clip are linked in the Master timeline, I think they should be okay if they had a constant speed change (albeit different) applied to each. The only way you can guarantee absolutely predictable result is to follow Dan's advice and bake them out and replace them. Remapped framerates can also raise hell with trackers and keyframes.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]