FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 9, PC and Prores render

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Timo Teravainen
Resolve 9, PC and Prores render
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:03:15 pm

I wonder if there is going to be prores render implemented on the V9 PC version of Resolve. There was a beta version of V8 that had it, but it was taken away from the release version. I'm actually still using that beta, to make life easier..

Rendering to Prores is the only reason I even consider getting a Mac Pro instead of my PC boxes. At least in my country, Prores is the standard. Now it seems that Apple is not so interested in the Mac Pro line anymore, and I see no reason to get a soon EOL piece of equipment.

I know it's totally possible to render prores with some open source apps on PC, but it's just saves so much time to render to the delivery format straight from Resolve, and not have to do a conversion afterwards.

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
Re: Resolve 9, PC and Prores render
on Jun 12, 2012 at 9:22:19 pm

actually looks like apple will be releasing new macros in 2013 (official yesterday statement ) so if you buy the lats macpro now (12 core ) it will be be the top of line for another year ...
g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:28:55 pm

[Gabriele Turchi] "apple will be releasing new macros [sic] in 2013 (official yesterday statement )"

If its that Tim Cook email, I wouldn't exactly take that as "official", its as ambiguous a statement as it can get. I would not hold my breath.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Jun 12, 2012 at 10:31:20 pm

new york times

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/11/an-explanation-of-the-news-from-a...

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 12, 2012 at 11:39:21 pm

Yes, that's the one:
the Pogue report. This has been discussed.
"Many Apple observers also wonder if Apple thinks that desktop computers are dead, since not a word was said about the iMac and Mac Pro. An executive did assure me, however, that new models and new designs are under way, probably for release in 2013."

So, this is actually somewhat less than official. If I were to extrapolate along the lines of the death of Shake, Color, DVD Studio Pro, FCStudio, LIveType, and others... the MacPro as we know it is EOL. "New Designs" means that what we are likely to get in 2013, if it actually happens, will be a MacPro X", awesome [or awe-full, you pick], with iOS-something installed.

The delay alone will almost guarantee that there will be no takers by the time the inventory is available. People who need to make decisions and make a living have other, better, options just a click away, today.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:01:53 am

I am planning to re format my machine soon and build a second one and both of them will be dual boot with Lion installed as a "Hack" and Win-7 on another partition. The workstation hardware available right now in the PC/Linux world just crushes the Mac-Pro. I also don't think Thunderbolt is all that big a deal on a desktop machine.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 13, 2012 at 1:23:44 am

[Timo Teravainen] "I wonder if there is going to be prores render implemented on the V9 PC version of Resolve. There was a beta version of V8 that had it, but it was taken away from the release version. I'm actually still using that beta, to make life easier.."

Yeah, we're setting up a new suite soon (the walls are going up right now) and we're also trying to figure out which way to jump given the apparent lack of a 'real' Mac Pro update until next year. The HP Z820 is very tempting (I don't like Windows much, but what's it matter on a machine that'll basically be a Resolve appliance?), but we deliver to ProRes all the time. Knowing whether ProRes output is coming to the Windows version of Resolve would clarify our options immensely.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Jun 13, 2012 at 5:59:34 am

Our engineers have been testing using FFMPEG open source to write out prores codecs. Not quite as easy as having it on the export but so far no shifts which is more than you can say about using quicktime...

Return to posts index

Jimmy Christensen
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:19:29 am

DPX as the intermediate format? Just curious...

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:20:20 am

I have understood that there will be DNxHD quicktime rendering ability on the V9. Which is great! But with Prores, are there licencing or other issues that prevent having the encoding ability on Windows Resolve? Encoding works with ffmpeg, as Chris said, but it's a bit of a hassle, and it would be such a time-saver to not have to do another encode outside Resolve. I wish someone from Blackmagic would chime in, if possible.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:23:05 am

[Chris Martin] "Our engineers have been testing using FFMPEG open source to write out prores codecs. Not quite as easy as having it on the export but so far no shifts which is more than you can say about using quicktime..."

Funny you should mention this, as I've just been doing tests with it tonight and I was planning to spend some time on it tomorrow on some faster hardware at the office. The image encoding seems solid from what I've seen so far, and I've gotten it to embed timecode. If I can talk it into embedding reel names this might form the basis of an interesting workflow.

Still, if Blackmagic could see fit to include this in Resolve, it would solve a lot of problems on Windows. It seems especially important in light of the new dailies processing features in Resolve 9, ProRes being an extremely common format in which to deliver editorial dailies.

--

Return to posts index

Jimmy Christensen
on Jun 13, 2012 at 6:30:09 am

You might want to check out ffmbc which is probably better at creating metadata.
http://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:04:31 am

Apple own Prores so its totally up to them. It makes sense for them to keep ProRes a Mac only render codec for Resolve as it means people will have to buy a MacPro rather than building a Windows box.

The option I use is we have Linux systems for the speed and then two mac systems in our machine room for ingesting and rendering anything thats ProRes. Works really well as the main suites are always grading.

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
Re: solve 9, PC and Prores render
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:43:12 am

Dan, do you render DPX intermediate from Linux systems?

Return to posts index

Timo Teravainen
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:38:32 am

Is there a gui front-end for ffmbc? For ffmpeg, I've been using AnotherGUI, it has presets for prores.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Christensen
on Jun 13, 2012 at 11:42:31 am

You can most likely just replace ffmpeg.exe with ffmbc.exe
Edit:
They actually mentions it on the AnotherGUI website :
"ffmbc vs. ffmpeg
ffmbc has several proffessional exhangements like target IMX, target DNxHD and supports mapping audio cahannels. The latest one makes possible to create elementary streams with every audio channel in separate file."

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 13, 2012 at 2:16:18 pm

[Jimmy Christensen] "You might want to check out ffmbc which is probably better at creating metadata.
http://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/"

Yeah, should have been more specific. That's what I'm using.

And a quick update: I've got it embedding timecode and reel names that Resolve can read correctly.

--

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Jun 14, 2012 at 5:16:26 am

So with multiple Linux Resolve machines do you run a Mac-Pro as a Pro-Res render station sort of like Baselight Compressor? And if so do you just share the database and open the project (with shared media) in the OSX machine only to render Pro-Res?

i.e. Prores as the last reason to run OSX?

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jun 15, 2012 at 5:10:14 am

Actually in linux ffmpeg has reversed engineered the ProRes codec (444 doesn't work so well) so while I don't think you can make ProRes out of the box.. you can make a dpx sequence or something, and then convert to prores on the linux station.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Aldo Barba
on Jul 26, 2012 at 7:23:37 am

Chris, what kind of monitoring are you going to use in your new suite? I´ve seen the work your company has done with Bradford Young as DP and it´s very good!

Return to posts index

Bradley Stuckel
on Jun 24, 2012 at 7:57:42 pm

PRORES encoding!... on Windows would be fantastic!

Does anyone know where to find the Davinci Resolve 8.2 beta 3 version which supports prores encoding???

If not does anyone have the prores enables resolve setup file still that they are willing to share?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Jun 24, 2012 at 11:12:53 pm

It was pulled shortly after release.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]