FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding white point and REC 709

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Wilson
Understanding white point and REC 709
on Jun 11, 2012 at 11:37:23 am

Hi, I recently decided to take a step up from my iMac display to an NEC PA271W for grading in resolve. I know that's not a broadcast monitor but it's better than the iMac - I use it for photographic and pre-press too.

One thing I'm confused with setting it up is when I switch over to REC 709 preset and calibrate with my spider 3 I'm being told to adjust the white point to 5000 I assume due to how dark it is in my room. I understand that the eye perceives differently in the dark and hence the need for the change to 5000..

However as REC 709 is D65 am I right in compensating for the dark by going to 5000?

Also I can use the monitor in it's full gamut mode which is obviously not for video work but will it need recalibrating every time I switch it between full and rec 709?

Any advice on helping me work with what I have would really be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve Shaw
Re: Understanding white point and REC 709
on Jun 11, 2012 at 4:20:14 pm

Hi Ross,

I can't think of any reason to set the display to 5000K when calibration to Rec709 - it's just wrong.

And for Video work you will need to set Gamut to the primary values as defined by Rec709. Again, anything else is just wrong.

Accurate calibration is critical, and is worth spending time and some money on as needed.

Cheers,

Steve

Return to posts index

Tyler Johnson
on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:23:18 am

How are you getting it to rec709? There is a sRGB Mode but I don't see rec709 on mine.

Return to posts index

Ross Wilson
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:11:11 pm

There's an srgb, full, rec709 and adobe rgb mode set table by the menu on the front.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]