FORUMS: list search recent posts

Snow Leopard on a MacBookPro 8.2

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Haber
Snow Leopard on a MacBookPro 8.2
on Jun 7, 2012 at 11:52:23 am

Hi there,

a while back there was a thread about the problem that Lion does not allow to scale the interface to mack Resolve run on the 1440 resolution.
Well, Snow Leopard does the trick and faced with the task of equipping a client with a remote machine he could travel with I dove into it yesterday.

So , naively I thought, that will take and hour or two to install and get up and running....but no way
Oh boy, Steve...what are you doing to us ???

It nearly took a day to finally get it running.
The problem is Apple is not allowing to install Snow Leopard on newer Mac with a Lion pre-installed.
If you try to boot it from a SN disk, it comes up with a kernel panic.
If you try to boot it from a SN stick, even with the latest 10.6.8 combo update, it comes up with a fake memory warning (three beeps)
So what we did is to install SN on an external disk, using a second computer.
We updated that disk then to 10.6.8
The next step is to put the MacBookPro into target disk mode and you ONLY can do that with an OS installed.
Holding T is also deactivated.
With both, the external disk and the MBP chained over Firewire, we used disk Utility to restore the image from the disk to the laptop.
Then you need to force boot from external source, select the new internal disk and voila, you have a SN running MBP 8.2
The last step is to change the boot device in the system preferences.

Jeeez...

Please Blackmagic Design, give us a button to scale down the interface to any resolution given.
I know it might be hard to read, but a lot of out clients would love to use their own laptops and the remote feature.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Snow Leopard on a MacBookPro 8.2
on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:15:20 pm

Hm.

I usually just make new partition and install stuff there either with target disk or with i partition.

Should be walk in the park but i have no specific laptops at hand.

Would be interesting to test out.

Thank you for the info

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:29:55 pm

I bought a 17" MBP 8,3 in December and I just took the 750G Snow Leopard drive out of my old 15" MBP and put it into my new 17" because I did not want to run Lion on the machine. That worked fine, if you have a Mac-Pro or an older Intel mac you could get an external drive caddy and build a Snow Leopard drive with the older machine and then just install it into the new 8,2 computer.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Jun 7, 2012 at 9:37:27 pm

All of this opens up an interesting question: What's up with the new 9.0 UI and resolution? I actually completely forgot to ask at NAB, but it'd be interesting to know if the UI rewrite will allow a more flexible interface and scaling to more resolutions.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Andreas Hylander
on Jun 8, 2012 at 8:34:03 am

Hi,
Thanks for outlining those steps for us Sacha. I'll use that for my new computer soon.

Cheers,

/ Andreas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]