FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to extract two parts of a reel name?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Hankewycz
How to extract two parts of a reel name?
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:13:03 pm

Assistance would be appreciated

The file path is: 00303_r2/A024C001_110922_R1PQ_V1-0007.mov

I need the reel name to be: A024R1PQ

How do you achieve this? I can get either "A024" or "R1PQ" to work but I cannot get them to join together. Are there any additive characters? I can't find any info about it and I've tried a ton of patterns. This is straight forward Alexa stuff so I'm sure there's a solution.

Thanks,

roman hankewycz
harbor picture company // colorist

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
Re: How to extract two parts of a reel name?
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:48:06 pm

Roman,

I'm assuming that "A024R1PQ" is the tape names you have inherited from an edl. If so, do you have the actual clip names in your comments? If so you can turn on "extract names from edl comments" in the settings menu. Then you should have the full file name to conform to an edl.

You could then use the "assist using reel numbers from the" option in project menu and truncate down using source clip file path name.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:10:46 pm

That's an Alexa file. The easiest way to extract what you want is to tell it to use the embedded reel name in the file header, that will give you what you're describing.

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:00:41 pm

I appreciate the responses although they don't answer the question.

To give some background. The Alexa media does not have the reel information in the header because it's no longer Alexa media, it's been consolidated by a 3rd party software. I have a FCP project that refers to clips with the proper, original reel names. I'd like to get Resolve to "see" the intended reel names by extracting them from the file name.

So back to my original question.

The file path is: 00303_r2/A024C001_110922_R1PQ_V1-0007.mov

I need the reel name to be: A024R1PQ

There must be an additive character that can be used in the pattern so I could define A024 and R1PQ and have them work together as the reel name.

roman hankewycz

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:56:48 pm

The downside to having someone else try and media manage for you - I try to avoid this. Usually more harm than good comes out of it.

At least if it was media managed in FCP you could use xml that referenced the FCP managed media.

Have you run through all your options of manipulating the source clip file pathname under "assist using reel numbers?" I've used it with success to trim the end of path name but never lift out characters from the beginning and middle as you need. It's user definable though and the nice thing is Resolve lets you run a test to see what your results are.

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jun 7, 2012 at 12:13:48 am

Well, if you've run out of other options, you'll have to enter the names yourself. You can do this either on an individual shot or a group of shots (you'd probably want to do the latter) in the Media Pool by selecting the shots, right clicking, and selecting "set reel number". This will give you the same options as the configuration page, and you can then select "enter manually" and type in what those files need to have.

The path name parser is not a general expression parser and does not take general expressions as patterns. It is specifically designed to extract names from right to left, and those names can only be truncated, not concatenated.

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
on Jun 12, 2012 at 8:33:53 pm

I still haven't heard back from BMD on this. Perhaps it's not possible.

It should be possible to concatenate two defined ranges of the file name to create a single reel name.

roman hankewycz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]