FORUMS: list search recent posts

rendering not adding grades

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
keith mottram
rendering not adding grades
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:40:57 pm

Okay, so I haven't used davinci in a while, so i may be making a school boy error. what i want to do is add a basic grade and a lut to some alexa log footage and then render out prores422 for editing. I have added my footage, made a timeline, put the lut on, done a quick contrast/ colour grade. and then rendered. the problem is the render is coming out as source- no grade on (though burn ins are there and it is pr422 rather than 4444). am completely stumped restarted and started from scratch but to no avail. am getting a little bit desperate so all help is gratefully received.

keith mottram

spec davinci 8.2, mac pro 8 core, 10.7.3, gtx285, bm hdpro, + all the trimmings...

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
Re: rendering not adding grades
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:24:32 pm

Double check up down arrow keys. They disable grades. But most likely on the render page, bottom left, make sure it's not set to render source only.
Barrie

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:52:21 pm

Hi Barrie,

thanks for the reply. I cannot see a check box for render source only? The only source checkbox on the render page is the one above target.

Also might be worth adding that when i hit render- the shot moving is the graded version. I am once again stuck.

Keith

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:53:46 pm

do you have flat pass selected? that might be it?

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT
DaVinci 8.2
OSX 10.6.8
MacPro 8-core 4,1 2.93 Ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GT120/GTX288 (CUDA 4.0.19)
Decklink Extreme3D+
Panny BT-LH1710P/ Panny BT-LH2600W
Tangent Wave

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:35:58 pm

Hi Robert,
have flat pass set to off.

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:41:56 pm

4242_screen.tiff.zip

link to a screen grab of render page

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:57:26 pm

While you are rendering, do you see the expected grades in the Color page Viewer, as it's rendering? If you do, then that MUST be in the rendered files. If you see the grades while rendering, but don't see the grades in the rendered files, that would almost have to mean you are not really looking at the files Resolve just rendered.

What type of system is this? What version of Resolve software? What type of GPU card do you have? If Mac, what version of OSX are you using?

If you have OSX 10.7.4 and an ATI/AMD GPU, you MUST use the 8.2.1 beta 3 version of Resolve.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:37:55 pm

Hi Duane, I am seeing the expected grades in the viewer as it is rendering. as mentioned before i can even render the burn ins. but the shots are gradeless. this is why i am confused!

system is davinci 8.2, mac pro 8 core, 10.7.3, gtx285, bm hdpro, 12tb internal raid, etc

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:57:06 pm

To the best of my knowledge, what you are describing is not possible. What you see while rendering, is what's being rendered. So I am also confused.

If you can do an Export+ of your project (you can't do this while it's loaded) and send it to davincihelp (at) blackmagic-design.com, we can take a look at it and try to see if there is anything odd with the project settings.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Jun 6, 2012 at 12:07:55 am

emailing now thanks.

Return to posts index

keith mottram
on Jun 6, 2012 at 11:27:01 am

It was user error, which Dwaine worked out when testing my project. had accidentally set the LUT to display rather than output.

Dwaine you are as much a legend as I am an idiot!

Return to posts index

Martin Simonsen
on Nov 6, 2012 at 4:59:24 pm

I have a simular problem. I se the original footage in the preview while attempting to render, not the graded footage. Up-down key to turn on and of grading is not set to off, i copied the render settings used, earlier in this thread. What am i doing wrong? Im in a bit of a crisis!

Return to posts index

Nook Kim
on Dec 31, 2012 at 5:57:24 am

See if the clip you're trying to render only has one frame. If you try to render as "source" and add handles, resolve for some reason renders ungraded image. Without any handles, you should render graded image.

Nook Kim
http://www.nookkim.com

Return to posts index

Michael Skinner
on May 9, 2013 at 4:07:33 pm

Keith,

Last year you had a problem with Resolve rendering out files that did not have your grades on them, even though you were watching it render with what appeared to be the correct grades.

You said:
"It was user error, which Dwaine worked out when testing my project. had accidentally set the LUT to display rather than output."

I'm having the exact same problem. How did you change the LUT?

michael
Resolve 9.1.3lite
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2048 MB
OS X 10.8.2

Return to posts index

Alex Davidson
on Oct 6, 2013 at 2:39:51 am

It an easy mistake to make... You want to select the LUT under option at the green arrow to apply it to your output.

If you apply it at the red arrow, it'll show on your display, then output flat.

Return to posts index

Erich Greenebaum
on Jan 16, 2016 at 7:42:06 am

So, just my experience, but getting flat output while seeing it during render is exactly what happens BY DEFAULT unless you set this LUT. The guy who said it "Isn't possible" just sent me down another rabbit hole for an hour prior to reading this info.

Return to posts index

Erich Greenebaum
on Jan 16, 2016 at 7:50:05 am

Follow up... So, turns out it was rendering the grade, but the result just looks nothing like it does in resolve. I'll wait until I get my calibration gear on Monday before opening my trap again ;-)

Return to posts index

Marc Wielage
on Jan 17, 2016 at 8:37:34 am

"So, turns out it was rendering the grade, but the result just looks nothing like it does in resolve. I'll wait until I get my calibration gear on Monday before opening my trap again."

My advice for next time would be to pull the rendered file back into Resolve and A/B it with the corrected image, and check the scopes. If the picture is identical, then it is what is and you have a monitoring issue. You have to be able to monitor within a color-managed system; otherwise, the operating system is going to affect it. This is a primary reason for monitoring through a Blackmagic display output.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]