FORUMS: list search recent posts

Semi-OT: Color shifts when wearing eyeglasses?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Glanns
Semi-OT: Color shifts when wearing eyeglasses?
on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:31:55 pm

Because I'm finally getting old, I recently for the first time in my life got prescription eyeglasses for my near-sightedness and astigmatism.

I only noticed to my shock today that when I'm wearing my glasses, that colors are subtly shifted towards magenta. This is obviously a huge problem when grading, espcially when grading skintones. What looks correct when my glasses are on looks slightly yellowish/greenish when I remove my glasses.

My question is: Is my color perception with my glasses off the "correct" perception, or are my eyeglasses actually correcting for not only focus, but also any color abberrations caused by my astigmatism/near-sightedness?

My lenses are normal, clear non-transitional lenses, and do not have an perceptible color tint to the glass.

Is this color-shift just an inherent thing with eyeglasses, or should I be asking my optometrist for a different type of prescription or lens material?

any thoughts about this is appreciated. thanks!

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Semi-OT: Color shifts when wearing eyeglasses?
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:17:31 am

It's kind of funny, but I noticed something similar with my glasses. Turns out almost all prescription eyeglasses are made with polycarbonate lense, which tend to have a high chromatic aberration value.

My solution; I ordered a set of actual glass lenses, which I had to custom order online. It took longer, and cost a bit more.. plus I can't really use them in any sort of active environment, as if they break it could send blinding shards of glass into my eyes. But they're noticbly clearer and much more scratch resistant. I'm quite happy with them. Don't know if that accounts for your difference, but it's been helpful to me.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:45:40 pm

I've always made it perfectly clear with my optician that my lenses have to be absolutely neutral, and so far, so good; the coatings have done their job. However, since my near-vision does not actually require correction, I find myself grading without the spectacles more often than not. Recently had a custom pair made up expressly for work that look kind of "labby".

That said, it has always been interesting to me how original source images wander around depending on the quality of the taking lenses, age, flare, T-stop and focal length (on non-primes). I've seen exposure vary by as much as a half-stop between the extremes of zooms... and these are professional lenses? But even internal compensations have their price... "breathing" in rack focus, depth of field/circle of confusion oscillating as a focus puller/zoom follows a move... and so on. If its a physical system, it will have defects.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:41:33 am

Anti glare coating?

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:25:19 am

lol...I just figured I have the same...
But I also found out it only happens on LCD screens.
Projector and CRT are fine.
Oh boy...why did SONY abandon us ???

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Lee Niederkofler
on Jun 5, 2012 at 11:58:15 am

I had the same problem a half year ago. I couldnt grade with them, the skintones were way too red/magenta...
I got a refund for the glasses because when I ordered them, I especially said that I couldnt use glasses when they change my color perception! 2 weeks later I got glass lenses and with them I didnt have any problem whilegrading.

best
Lee

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:26:07 pm

Robert, you should ask your ophthalmologist if your color perception may be in part due to your eyes (without wearing your glasses).

I suspect when we get older, the proteins in our eyes' fluids and lenses may even be less than perfect transmitters. I'm sure my left and right eyes do not see exactly the same colour. Still when using an LCD screen I remove my glasses and favour my right eye. I also have myopia and astigmatism.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]