FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio playback issues In Windows Resolve 8.2 and 8.2.1

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pasha Patriki
Audio playback issues In Windows Resolve 8.2 and 8.2.1
on Jun 4, 2012 at 5:18:50 pm

I just switched from Mac Pro to a brand new Windows PC for the Resolve.

Byuuilt it as per BDM specs - Asus MB, Nvidia Quadro 4000 + GTX 580, 64 GB of RAM, and for storage I have setup an internal RAID0 using 3 disks. BMD DiskSpeed shows over 550MB/sec read/write speeds.

The system is great (knock on the wood), and I am able to play Epic 5K R3D's a 1/2 quality at 24fps without problems. Much bettre performance than the Mac Pro I had just prior to this.

The only problem I haven't been able to solve so far is the audio playback.
Let's say I am grading a music video so I always load the song track so that the client can play back a bunch of graded shots and hear the music that they are edited to.
As long as the shots are able to playback at real time, the audio syncs and doesn't crackle or break up..

But not on my Windows. The footage has no problems playing back real time, but the audio cuts in and out, stops and goes as it pleases... Kind of useless.

I tried it with projects using RED media as well as projects that are conformed from Quicktime Prores files... Same thing. Also tried both 8.2 and BETA 8.2.1... Same results.

I should also mention I am using UltraStudio SDI for monitoring, and audio goes through that as well. Could this be the problem?

On the MAc Pro I used DEcklink Extreme HD, and audio had no problems with it.

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
Re: Audio playback issues In Windows Resolve 8.2 and 8.2.1
on Jun 4, 2012 at 9:37:46 pm

i have had similar issues

when playing back graded shots that need to get up to speed to cache there is choppy playback of sound

seems shots with no grade on them playback better

odd

Return to posts index

Pasha Patriki
on Jun 4, 2012 at 9:44:05 pm

[Ben Scott] "i have had similar issues

when playing back graded shots that need to get up to speed to cache there is choppy playback of sound

seems shots with no grade on them playback better"

I know the issue you are talking about - mine is a little different.

What you are decsribing is common - if the video is "getting up to speed", the audio chops because it can only play at real time. So if the video is taking 3 seconds to get up to 23.98fps and in the mean time it's playing at 11fps or 18fps or something like that - the audio will "crackle, trying to sync up with the uneven video playback speed.
Obviously graded shots take longer to get up to speed so that's why the difference between graded and ungraded playback.

In my case here, the audio cuts out for 2-3-4 second chunks of time, even when the video plays smoothly and without frame rate drops.

Anyone knows how to fix it?

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jun 4, 2012 at 10:31:02 pm

Hi Pasha,

What format is your audio file, bit depth, frequency, number of channels?

This same file plays ok on your Mac?

Rohit

Return to posts index

Pasha Patriki
on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:46:12 pm

[Rohit Gupta] "What format is your audio file, bit depth, frequency, number of channels?

This same file plays ok on your Mac?"

Rohit, I used Resolve's "Extract Audio" feature in the "Browse" tab to extract the audio from the offline editing copy (I am not sure what format Resolve extracts the audio to, but I would assume that it in fact does some conversion during the extraction and it would make the most friendly format for itself?).

I also had a wave file of 16 bit 48k stereo channel, which had the same problem.

This has been happening on more than a single project - I haven't had a project properly play audio since I moved to a PC...
On the Mac Pro I have seen issues with the audio but I have usually been able to link them to frame rates (60p and audio playback don't like each other for example) and audio frequency conflicts...
This one here I just can't figure out.

Could this be an issue with Ultrastudio SDI, which is what I am using for video/audio sent to reference monitors?

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jun 5, 2012 at 6:27:38 am

Same problems here...
Its like the gradings add an additional delay to the video feeding through the decklink.
If I render its fine.
I wish the cache would work ... and stay

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Jun 5, 2012 at 9:01:52 am

Can you switch your video monitoring to 23.976/24sF and see if the problem still happens?

Return to posts index

Pasha Patriki
on Jun 5, 2012 at 12:02:20 pm

Tried switchinhg all monitoring modes. That was usually the solution on the Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

Pasha Patriki
on Jun 9, 2012 at 2:21:02 pm

So.. No idea still.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]