FORUMS: list search recent posts

GTX 470 users…anyone else having render problems?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Lalicata
GTX 470 users…anyone else having render problems?
on May 30, 2012 at 3:26:13 am

Based on lots of posts here on this forum, I purchased two GTX 470 cards from MacVidCards for use in a Cubix Expander with a Red Rocket Card. As advertised, the real time playback with R3D files works great. We have had no problems with the grading sessions, right up until we go to render out the show.

We are seeing lots of render errors manifesting as random color blocks appearing for a single frame length in different clips. On re-renders it is often the same clips, sometimes it is new ones, sometimes a clip won't error on a second render. It does not appear to be directly related to the number of nodes on a clip. Some complicated grades work fine, while others generate errors.

After playing with settings and switching Raids to render to with no solution, we finally pulled the GPU cards and left in the Rocket card. The render problems went away, but the render time basically doubled. 4.5K R3D at full res premium went from 17 min render for a 15 minute reel to 30 min render for the same reel. Which is still pretty good, but I can't remove the GPU cards each time I need to render.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have successfully edited the AGPM kext as described on these forums and confirmed via CUDA Z that the performance is what it should be. Playback and grading is great, renders have glitches.

System Specs:
Lion 10.7.3
12 core
BM Decklink HD Extreme 3d in the MacPro
Cubix Expander
GTX470 Slot 1
Red Rocket Slot 2
GTX470 Slot 3
Resolve 8.2

Could it be a slot order issue for the cards? I tried to follow the recommended config in the Resolve documentation. I do not know how to contact MacVidCards directly, but I know that David Pirinelli is active here in this forum.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Eric Lalicata
Owner
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: GTX 470 users…anyone else having render problems?
on May 30, 2012 at 4:34:47 am

how much GPU RAM do you have?

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on May 30, 2012 at 5:00:33 am

it seems you have gone the cheaper way.

4,5 k needs more gpu ram than you have currently.

There is numerous post around here in the forum that you have probably missed.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Eric Lalicata
on May 30, 2012 at 5:29:54 am

Thanks for the replies. Each GTX has 1280 MB.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "cheaper way".

Granted, I am quickly trying to learn as much about this as I can, so I am no expert here. But it would seem to me, that the GPUs are more for nodes and realtime grading, while rendering is more of a cpu, red rocket card and drive speed function.

So if the system is giving me realtime playback of 4.5k r3d at full res, premium with zooms and grading nodes, why would the GPU's not be sufficient for rendering when we have selected half res premium and 1920x1080?

I moved the project to a render computer that did not have a red rocket card, nor any GPUs other than the display card, and it rendered out the reel just fine, only much slower (4x slower).

I guess I'm confused why the GPUs would cause glitches at all on render. Why wouldn't resolve just render slower if it was being over taxed?

Thanks again.

Eric Lalicata
Owner
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on May 30, 2012 at 5:35:51 am

Cheaper way had its irony in it just ignore it.

4k render needs at least 2 gb of gpu ram as fas as i have got it.

So ideally you would go with 3 as you have 4,5 k material with some overhead.

I may be off the chart here but this is what i have gathered from the discussions.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/277/16905

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Eric Lalicata
on May 30, 2012 at 6:52:07 am

Thank you. But I am not doing 4k renders. I am doing a 1920x1080 output from a half res premium decode of the r3d files. If the system can play 4.5k, at full res premium, while scaling the image to 1080 in real time (24fr/sec) while applying color correction, why can't it render without glitches?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Eric Lalicata
Owner
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on May 30, 2012 at 10:45:36 am

Maybe Peter can tell us more about the internal structures where and when to scale and when to render.
I guess the Rocket should do the scaling, but maybe its only truncating every second pixel and still outputting a 4,5K image.

Can you , just for the fun of it, convert 5 minutes of the show to DPX first, color trace and render from there ?
Only way to find out if its the size...

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 30, 2012 at 2:37:26 pm

Two things. Make sure you're running the latest version of the nvidia driver. And try running resolve 8.2.1.

Generally speaking using larger than 2k images requires all the GPUs to have 2GB+ of RAM. So that could be the cause of your problem, how ever it's worth checking bother software updates first to male sure. If you do need to upgrade the GPU, even a single 580/3gb card will give you similar performance to what you've been seeing,

Last thing is that it seems from your config, it would behoove you to move the red rocket into a slot inside of your Mac pro. It seems like you didn't list all the cards in your computer, but if you have a slot available that's where I would put it.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Matthew Riggieri
on May 30, 2012 at 7:51:20 pm

This is just a hunch, but it sounds to me like heat issues on the Rocket. Rocket's are finicky, if they get to hot, they send out garbage frames. You can usually see this in the RedCine-X Pro console.

I have had mine in my Mac Pro rendering and throwing garbage frames. I increased the PCI fan speed using SMCfanController, and tada, no more bad frames. I have seen this occur on many rockets.

Juan is probably on the right idea of throwing it in the tower rather than the cubic.

BTW the software debayer is of higher quality then the rocket debayer. Most RED Films end up using the software debayer in finishing.

Return to posts index

Eric Lalicata
on May 30, 2012 at 11:47:39 pm

Thank you Sascha, Juan and Matthew. I appreciate your advice.

Sascha, I will try that process as soon as this project is over.

Juan, sorry about the incomplete info regarding the system specs. I followed the Blackmagic recommended installation configuration guide when we built the system. The specs are:

MacPro 5,1 12 core
12 GB RAM
Lion 10.7.2
ATI Raedon HD 5770 for GUI in Slot 1
Cubix Expander PCI card in Slot 2
Decklink 3d in Slot 3
eSata HBA in Slot 4

In Cubix 4:
GTX 470 in Slot 1
Red Rocket in Slot 2
GTX 470 in Slot 3
(following the Configuration Guide Recommendations)

To move the Red Rocket Card into the MacPro, I would have to move one of the others to the Cubix. Not sure which to try. What do you think?

I have no problem getting a GTX580 3GB card if that is what it would take to make this work. I have read on this forums that these cards do not need EFI flashing to work, but that flashing may increase performance. I see that MacVidCards has a couple for sale. I'm just wondering if the Cubix has enough power for it.

Matthew, you suggest that the Red Rocket card may be the problem. It was in between two GTX 470s so it was probably a little warm. If I can figure out which card to swap out of the tower, that may be the solution. Or maybe just moving it further away from the GPUs in the expander may help. Can you explain a bit what you mean by the "software debayer" being of better quality? Can we tell Resolve to not render with the Rocket Card? How?

Thanks for all your help, guys. I really appreciate it. I've been lurking this forum and reading your posts for about a year now. I have learned so much in that time. Thanks.

Eric Lalicata
Owner
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300

Return to posts index

Eric Lalicata
on Jun 1, 2012 at 11:18:36 pm

So after some experimentation, it appears the Red Rocket Card is the culprit. We tried the DXP render that Sascha recommended, and we we able to render to 4k and 1080 without any glitches. Obviously the 4k did not playback in real time, but we stepped through the frames and saw no errors.

So I tried the easiest move first, I put the Rocket card in slot 1 of the Cubix and moved the GTX470s to slot 3 and 4 trying to get a little distance. Didn't matter, still throwing render errors when using the Rocket Card.

So my next step, is to try what Matthew suggested and move the Rocket card into the Mac Pro and increase the speed of the fans. Anyone have a suggestion of which card I should swap? The esata HBA or the BM Decklink?

If that does not work, then I guess we can always software debayer on another machine, still using the Red Rocket card for real time grading on the main machine. After doing some reading about the differences between hardware and software debayer, there seems to be a split decision on which one looks "better". As most things, it appears to be a subjective choice. I still think it is weird that we can see it playback with nodes without errors, but the render is error prone.

Thanks again for your opinions.

Eric Lalicata
Owner
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300

Return to posts index

Eric Lalicata
on Jun 4, 2012 at 8:51:39 pm

For those still reading…

I tried moving the Red Rocket Card back into the tower and put the Decklink card in the Cubix. That did not work at all. Couldn't get a signal out of the BM card to the display.

So then I put the Decklink card back in the MacPro and put the eSata HBA in the Cubix. This worked.

An unexpected result, is that Resolve now plays back instantly instead of the one second ramp up to speed start that we used to have. So having the Red Rocket card in the MacPro seems to make playback smoother.

The rendering issue appeared to go away as well, until we tried to render another reel with more blur effects on clips. The errors came back on the same shots as before. So we dropped the render speed from maximum to 10 frames per second. This also appeared to work. We got passed the problem clips, only to find a couple glitches later in the reel. I have installed SMC fan control and will experiment with settings to see if a cooler PCI card will solve this. I'm not confident it will. It may still be GPU related and I may need to try a GTX 580 3GB in place of my 470s.

I'll post updates for those who care to follow this sad story. Thanks for all the help as usual.

Eric Lalicata
Owner
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300

Return to posts index

Eric Lalicata
on Jun 7, 2012 at 12:14:15 am

So after much troubleshooting, the solution appears to be more GPU Ram as initially recommended by a few of you.

We took out the Red Rocket card and did a render, and we still had errors. So I bought two GTX580 cards from MacVidCards and he delivered them next day.

After installing an OS upgrade, GPU drivers, CUDA drivers, Desktop video and Resolve 8.2.1 beta3 we were back in business. Until RedCineXPro told me the Red Rocket Card needed to be in a 8 lane PCI bus. So out it came and back into the Cubix Expander. Red Cine liked this new arrangement, but Resolve said it could not initialize the Red Rocket card. Ugh.

New driver and firmware upgrade later and we were back in business. No render errors. Immediate play of 4.5k files. Full Res Premium decode with 21fps renders to 1080. 26fps at Half Res Premium.

Thanks to you all for your help. I really appreciate it.

Eric Lalicata
Owner
Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on Jun 7, 2012 at 8:12:30 pm

Glad this worked out for you.

And glad we could get the cards to you so quickly. I even enjoyed the drive on Forest Lawn Drive, amazing clear at 5 PM, was back in Hollywood in 20 minutes.

I forgot to mention to you that I added a backplate to one of the 580s.

And hopefully you pulled the clear protective plastic off the fan shrouds.

I went to Newegg yesterday and was surprised to discover that new 580s with 3GB are no longer easily gotten. Quite likely I will only be able to source used ones in near future.

They are as about as "Future Proof" as a card can be. The 680 has lots of nifty new stuff, but it's GPU performance has been clipped to make Quadros seem like better deals. So 580 is not likely to be eclipsed by consumer level cards for some time now, at least for CUDA/OpenCl.

Enjoy those powerhouses !!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]