FORUMS: list search recent posts

Poll - What do you guys call yourselves? "Colorist" - "Resolve Operator" - "Super Awesoome Color Person"

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Griggs
Poll - What do you guys call yourselves? "Colorist" - "Resolve Operator" - "Super Awesoome Color Person"
on May 26, 2012 at 1:35:50 pm

Just wanted to get some thoughts on a title/job description...for Resume descriptions or movie credits, etc.

How do you guys refer to yourselves?

Some examples I've seen so far...

-Telecine Colorist
-Davinci Resolve Operator
-Colorist
-Online Finisher

Return to posts index

Mike Most
Re: Poll - What do you guys call yourselves? "Colorist" - "Resolve Operator" - "Super Awesoome Color Person"
on May 26, 2012 at 2:31:38 pm

A Telecine Colorist would be a colorist who operates a telecine - IOW, film to tape transfer. If you're not working with film, you're not a Telecine colorist, regardless of how often this term is misused. Calling oneself anything that has the word "Resolve" in it is very limiting, as Resolve is only one piece of gear among many in use today and operating the equipment is not the real skill, coloring is. So using that term limits one's appeal to companies that are only using Resolve, not a good thing to do in today's world even if 99% of the work you do happens to be on Resolve. An Online Finisher is responsible for many things, including but not limited to conforming, compositing, paint effects, rig and wire removals and other cleanup effects, titling, transition creation, versioning, and occasional light color work. Anyone with that job description is using working on platforms like Symphony, Smoke, Avid DS, or Quantel iQ, not DaVinci Resolve. So unless you're doing all of those things, you're not an Online Finisher.

That leaves Colorist, which is the simplest, most direct, and most accurate term for someone doing color grading as their primary task.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Poll - What do you guys call yourselves? "Colorist" - "Resolve Operator" - "Super Awesoome Color Person"
on May 26, 2012 at 3:29:53 pm

Just call me "The dude"

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on May 27, 2012 at 6:49:47 pm

I agree with you in general, I do find it hilarious though that in the beginning you say it would be wrong to define one by the tool yet in the end you say unless you are running smoke/quantel/avid you are not a "finisher"
Just splitting the hair. :)

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 27, 2012 at 7:02:53 pm

Did you really read what I said? Because I didn't say that the description is based on the tools, I only said that if film isn't involved it isn't telecine, because "telecine" is a non-ambiguous term that means, literally, film to tape transfer or the machine that does it. And I didn't single out specific equipment as being the only tools of a finishing artist, I intentionally said "platforms like....." specifically to avoid that. And then I said "unless you're doing all of those things," which speaks specifically to the skills and NOT to the equipment. So whether you find it hilarious or not, I didn't say any of the things you claim I did. I didn't even imply them.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on May 27, 2012 at 7:10:32 pm

Direct quote : "Calling oneself anything that has the word "Resolve" in it is very limiting, as Resolve is only one piece of gear among many in use today and operating the equipment is not the real skill"...

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 27, 2012 at 7:25:11 pm

I'm sorry, but I still don't get your point at all. I basically stated that specific equipment names shouldn't be used as job descriptions. I never said that a "finishing artist" should be called a "Smoke operator" or a "DS operator" or implied such. And I also said that one shouldn't call themselves a "Resolve colorist," the same way that one shouldn't call themselves a "Baselight colorist" or a "Lustre colorist." I didn't contradict myself in any way.

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on May 27, 2012 at 7:33:49 pm

Logical contradiction was that if I am using davinci resolve I am not an online finisher. I actually just finished a short in resolve and it was pretty much online in the sense that I had not to wait for render to preview, (well I had to merry sound to it afterwards): conformed, overplayed titles, added grain, some minor editing for timing, and of course a grade. Did it because of the speed of final render compared with anything else I use (an adobe shop here).

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 28, 2012 at 5:19:11 pm

Well, personally, I call myself Mike and leave the titles to others. ;-D

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on May 27, 2012 at 5:48:23 pm

Daddy

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on May 27, 2012 at 8:32:54 pm

man with 9 professions i'd say if you look workflows

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Danny Scotting
on May 28, 2012 at 3:40:54 am

Digital Colourist
OR
Colourist/Post Production Relighter
OR
Digital workflow Stategist/Digital colourist/Post Production DOP

Or something as equally wanky and egotistic to make me feel like a man!

Works most of the time..........

Danny Scotting - Senior Digital Colourist

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 28, 2012 at 8:28:57 pm

Colorist. When I'm grading.

I do a lot of other things.

Don't call me "Late For Supper".

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]