FORUMS: list search recent posts

Testing a studio bulb for 6500K

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Jones
Testing a studio bulb for 6500K
on May 25, 2012 at 2:36:30 am

I'm wondering if you could test a bulb to see if it is truly 6500K by shining it on a white piece of paper, using your camera's white balance, then taking a picture of it. Then using Photoshop or Resolve or some software to determine its color temperature?

Any out of the box thinkers out there that might know a way to get that to work?

Return to posts index

John Michaels
Re: Testing a studio bulb for 6500K
on May 25, 2012 at 4:42:00 am

I don't think you even need software to do this. If you white balance on the white card lit by the bulb, many DSLRs and video cameras will tell you the resulting color temperature they're balancing to.

But the best way would probably just be to use a handheld color meter.

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on May 25, 2012 at 7:35:09 am

It is SO much easier than this!!!

Pantone make a sticker that sells for under one dollar. It has two different materials on a one inch square. When the light is at the predefined color temp, they both appear the same color. Brilliant!
I have a 6000k sticker on the back of my phone. Best dollar I ever spent!
Barrie
Pixelfantastic.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on May 25, 2012 at 8:24:41 am

Where did you get it ?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on May 25, 2012 at 10:17:43 am

my local graphic designer.

The Lighting Indicators are self adhesive, so the graphics designers stick one on every color proof they send out, to be sure the client has a means of checking his lighting conditions.

http://th.pantone.com/pages/products/product.aspx?pid=1300&ca=1

Barrie
pixelfantastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on May 27, 2012 at 2:13:18 pm

This link refers to Pantone indicators testing for 5000K and the topic is 6500K. Or did I miss something? Still great tip.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on May 27, 2012 at 6:57:40 pm

unless you have a spectrometer (i1 pro for example whch you could use with i1Share (free) still works with correct DLLs in Windows7)) the gray card/dslr would be your best bet.
This would be very approximate though as the color temp in dslrs is not that precise.
There is an argument however that the bias light is not all that important as the monitor color temp, especially if following Charles Poynton recommendations for as dark as it gets ambiance plus up to 80-100 nits monitoring to preserve 2.4 gamma

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]