FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projectors Once Again - Anyone Looked at the JVC 4K Reference Series?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hall
Projectors Once Again - Anyone Looked at the JVC 4K Reference Series?
on May 24, 2012 at 4:22:24 pm

So once again I'm in the market for a 2nd projector at a facility I freelance for. Currently they have a Christie CP2210 which is, well, perfect for everything, just a great, solid, projector. They're currently looking to add a second small grading theater with a more "budget friendly" projector capable of doing both Rec709 and P3 finishes in the room. I've been thinking about recommending this, the JVC REFERENCE SERIES 3D HOME CINEMA 4K PROJECTOR DLA-RS65U:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL102123

Downsides: it only takes HDMI in (but I believe the new DAVIO boxes can do HD-SDI to HDMI so that might still be ok), and its really "fake" 4K at this point (just upsamples 1080p I guess, which would be ok for the most part, final grades could be done on the nicer Christie in the other suite to check proper resolution scaling etc).

But other than that it looks pretty solid for a $12K Projector. Anyone have any experience with these or can they recommend anything else similar? Thanks in advance!

Chris Hall
Colorist - Basher Films
Pasadena, CA

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
Re: Projectors Once Again - Anyone Looked at the JVC 4K Reference Series?
on May 24, 2012 at 4:59:02 pm

Haven't used the DLA-RS65U, but have lots of experience with the DLA-RS60U. A few points:

* Color gamut and contrast/black level is quite good.

* Warm-up of about half an hour is required to get consistent color.

* There is some drift over time, so you should probably be able to profile and make your own LUTs on a regular basis. That means getting something like a Hubble probe and CineSpace.

* The Davio has always been able to do HD-SDI to HDMI, and that works fine with this projector.

So, all in all, it is pretty solid, with a few small caveats. If you're willing to work around those, it performs well, and looks very good.

I don't know if I'd recommend it for rec.709 finishing, though. A monitor (like a Panasonic plasma) is much more suitable for that, when properly calibrated.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Chris Jones
on May 25, 2012 at 2:11:10 am

You might want to contact Joe Kane. He is one of the leading experts in the set up of projectors and some of the major manufactures build the projectors to his specs. He was the Chair at SMPTE at one point. I was lucky enough to get a demo at his house last year on his personal projector. It was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.

He lives in your part of L.A.

http://www.videoessentials.com/about_jk.php

Return to posts index

Chris Hall
on May 25, 2012 at 2:55:21 pm

Joakim, really appreciate your insights into the 60, that's great to hear. I spoke to David Abrams at Avical and he confirmed your thoughts on that projector line, emphasizing that as long as the Davio was in-line he could always keep it well calibrated to the DCI-P3 standard. It's looking like we're going to put a flanders in there for Rec finishes and use the JVC for P3 only.

Chris Hall
Colorist - Basher Films
Pasadena, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]