FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Workflow: MC to Resolve ???

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathon Lee
Best Workflow: MC to Resolve ???
on May 24, 2012 at 6:54:07 am

I have an Alexa project that was cut in MC v5. The Alexa Pro Res 4444 files were transcoded into MXF DNX115. I'd like to grade from the Alexa QuickTime files. I thought I could just relink the MXF files in MC to the original QT files and render out a flattened QT ProRes and grade that as there were a lot of FX and stabilizations and repo's in MC.

Anyhow, what's the "best" way to get this into Resolve so I can grade from the camera original files. There are also a few 7d shots as well.

Any suggestions appreciated.

thank you,

Jonathon

Return to posts index

Onno Varekamp
Re: Best Workflow: MC to Resolve ???
on May 24, 2012 at 11:04:46 am

Most of the time I relink to an edl in resolve, be sure to check Source File in comments in EdlManager. In Resolve you have to check "assist using reel numbers from the: Source clip file pathname" and insert */%R???? as Pattern. This will remove '.mov' from the reelnames, so it will relink to the rushes.

Another way is relink to ama files then transcode your edit to the highest codec (with handle if you want) and export to aaf. The downside to this is that relinking back to ama footage can be a bother.

Hope it helps!

Return to posts index

Josh Petok
on May 24, 2012 at 2:33:39 pm

I agree. The AAF workflow makes a lot of sense. There are some things to think consider when exporting the AAF out of Avid. Does your sequence have a lot speed ramps or effects? Do you plan on roundtripping back to media composer? I've found the workflow to be a lot easier if I send an AAF back to Media Composer. All of the unknown effects are passed through the workflow and is back to normal once you send it back to media composer. In my experience, the relinking workflow has only been successful if I have tape names associated with the original media. Although, I have heard that this has been improved with v6.0.1 so YMMV.

Josh Petok
Online | Color
JoshPetok.com
TheCurrentCut.com

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on May 24, 2012 at 3:30:31 pm

Since things like stabilizations and repositions/resizing are much better done in Resolve than Media Composer (the scaling engine is much, much better and cleaner) you might want to try a round trip workflow using AAF and a return AAF, as described in another post. Of course, that might be impractical if your clients expect to see a finished version of the piece during color correction (which is usually the case in longform work, which is why the roundtrip approach is rarely used for things like television series...).

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on May 24, 2012 at 3:50:38 pm

Thanks Guys... this is the best forum... so much real knowledge here.

I think I'll have to try the AAF route. It looks like something was botched with the tape names for the Alexa files during logging so I can't go from MFX to AMA-link in Media Composer. I've never had to do this. The original EDL links OK to the QT media in Resolve.. that was the first thing I tried. Then i realized how much of a nightmare dealing with all of the stabilization, supers, etc was going to be. I'd really like to just relink the MC project to the QT's... but someone else will be completing the job and they want just a SINGLE layer with everything rendered in... don't ask... not my workflow idea.

I hope the AAF will take care of most everything.

thanks again,

Jonathon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]