FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nvidia GT120 GUI issues

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Travers
Nvidia GT120 GUI issues
on May 17, 2012 at 3:02:43 pm

Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct forum but in that I am a Resolve colorist and guys like Walter B and others in the forums have recommended the Dell U2410's i figured why not start here.

I have spoke with Nvidia, Apple and Dell about the monitoring issues I am having on the GT120 but nobody knows what the problem is really.

I just upgraded from an old pair of dual 23" ACD's to Dual Dell 24" U2410's. I go Mini Display in to the 120 w/ DVI adapter and then the other monitor goes in straight DVI - after many conversations between the companies and B&H who sold me the monitors it seems that there is some discrepancy between the inputs on the GT120 - double checked to make sure it is not a difference between the monitors themselves etc. B&H actually initially sold me a Display2MiniDisplay adapter saying that I needed that to have matching resolutions but everyone since says that is NOT true.

The problem is not only a difference in color and brightness appearance, but also for example a window taking up the whole monitor from top to bottom on one monitor is smaller on the other one - i am told they should match in all ways and even though settings are exactly the same and the monitors look fine being plugged in one at a time - when they are both plugged in they don't match in either config.

I like to have a second monitor for scopes, firefox, finder windows, itunes, etc and the main monitor in front of me as the DaVinci GUI with the FSI-2461w as my grading monitor. Below are my system specs but I am thinking that maybe I need to upgrade the card I use for my GUI and/or also consider different monitors. Juan Salvo had recommended dual 27" Dell's and a co-worker friend has an ACD 30" as the main monitor and a 23" ACD for scopes, browser, etc but I am very curious to get some thoughts on this as maybe my GT120 is just to weak to deal? Power drain is a big consideration on my system in that I already have a lot going on in my MacPro..not so sure a quadro4000 for gui would even work because of the power drain.

Any help or suggestions would be great as I have a week to return the monitors to B&H!

thank you

DaVinci 8.2.1 beta2
OSX 10.7.4 (SSD in second optical bay)
MacPro 12-core 5,1 2.66 Ghz
32GB RAM x4 8GB
Software RAID 0 (8TB Internal)
Nvidia GT120/GTX580 (CUDA 4.2.7)
Decklink Extreme3D
FSI LM-2461W / Panny VT25
Tangent Wave / Wacom

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Nvidia GT120 GUI issues
on May 17, 2012 at 4:05:50 pm

by the description seems that 120 makes wonders with 2 panels as you say separately monitors are fine?

you could test them out with some other gui gpu if they work ok in pair leaving
120 out.
i would take out something for testing time as you say there may not be sufficient
power available.

what i really like on apple reflective cinema displays is that i can turn gui really down
in brightness and leaving me with pleasant setup.

in one suit i'm going there is dell for gui with brightness turned to 0 and in os desktop it still makes me blind in dark room. so monitor thing is more question of taste. it does not matter so as you have
nice fsi available.

this is just how i see it.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Colin Travers
on May 18, 2012 at 5:50:50 am

hi margus
i agree completely. i have brightness down to 0 and its not as dim as the acd 23" so i may actually reconsider what to use for GUI - not a fan of glossy however.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on May 18, 2012 at 6:35:43 am

but in the dark room glossiness may be not a problem ?

most of the time you look at panel i bet.

yesterday i saw my acd and dell side by side and adc is more even also.

in that point of time i have lost faith in dell as price cap here is also next to nothing.

for bright room they are ok but in dark room you do not have much control on lower end now.

just my 2 cents

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on May 19, 2012 at 7:34:27 am

Colin,

MacVidCards would be interested in sending you a 1GB Dual DVI GT120 to see if that fixes the problem.

If it does, we would trade you even for the 512 Mb Mac one.

MDP is a complicated thing, if your displays both receive DVI input, perhaps it would solve issue.

dp

Return to posts index

Colin Travers
on May 19, 2012 at 1:33:02 pm

Hi Dave,

Count me in for the test i suppose, my only concern would be power drain of the 1gb dual dvi vs. what i have? I also have your flashed 470 and a mac 285 if you had any interest. I will email you with my address and info.
Thank you
Colin

DaVinci 8.2.1 beta2
OSX 10.7.4 (SSD in second optical bay)
MacPro 12-core 5,1 2.66 Ghz
32GB RAM x4 8GB
Software RAID 0 (8TB Internal)
Nvidia GT120/GTX580 (CUDA 4.2.7)
Decklink Extreme3D
FSI LM-2461W / Panny VT25
Tangent Wave / Wacom

Return to posts index