FORUMS: list search recent posts

Round trip between Resolve and FCP

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Gadd
Round trip between Resolve and FCP
on May 17, 2012 at 5:39:30 am

Hey, im fairly new to posting on these forums but i've encountered an issue and i can't seem to find a solution.

I've edited a 10 minute movie in FCP7, with footage from a 5D as well as film. I've encountered 2 problems.

The first: I've exported the XML of the final edit into davinci, everything works fine and all my clips are sourced from a single folder. After grading in davinci, i then exported the XML back into FCP7, and tried to source the footage from the new folder of rendered graded footage (Note: The rendered footage does not have a unique filename as i am not entirely sure as to how to reconnect media back to a source file without the same name).

Now here is my issue, most of the clips reconnect fine, however the problem lies in media that is 'repeated'. Say for instance shot 1a has been broken up into 2 separate parts, and placed in different parts of the timeline (part 1 being at the start part 2 being in the middle for example), when i re-import FCP seems to have a problem with this and does not recognize the original start/end points and simply plays these two clips from the start of the source file, with different durations. (in other words, the clips are not starting from the right point). I'm not sure how to fix this as i have no idea whether this is an XML problem or a problem with my render settings.

(I rendered as a FCP-round trip, unique filename unchecked. 25FPS, uncompressed 8 bit).

The second problem, the film footage is all referenced from the same source file in FCP and cut into separate pieces. However when importing the XML into davinci the cuts are all perfect, however davinci seems to automatically grade everything simultaneously that shares a source file, and so it is impossible to grade 1 shot of the film shots without grading ALL of them.

Many thanks in advance,
Nathan

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Round trip between Resolve and FCP
on May 17, 2012 at 1:03:33 pm

Try selecting all your thumbnails on timeline and then make R clic with mouse and batch copy.

Now try to adjust one shot and third.

See how did it go ?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 17, 2012 at 2:33:50 pm

[Margus Voll] "Try selecting all your thumbnails on timeline and then make R clic with mouse and batch copy.
Now try to adjust one shot and third."

?
I'm assuming this is an attempt to "ungroup" the shots.... but it doesn't solve the underlying issue which is that Resolve is always grading to the Master source clip timeline... even when it is being displayed as a cut sequence. For absolute independence, it is better to create a "local" version of the grade for that portion of the master clip. This is probably better operational practice, as well, since it does build in a degree of redundancy and grade-construction flexibility. This is similar to separating your various operations inside a grade to separate nodes so that you can share them between clips and click portions of the grade off and on to gauge the effect.

Rendering to unique filename also helps to create entities that can be better managed with browser operations.

To reconnect files with different names, at least in Final Cut, one avenue is to "Locate", instead of "Search", and you do have the option to un-check the "Matched" filename when you do manage to navigate to the clip you want.

Getting closer?

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on May 17, 2012 at 2:40:57 pm

After you render, save your project and export an XML. Load this into FCP. No need to re-link manually.

Also, Batch Copy/Unlink if you don't want source clip linked grades.

Return to posts index

Nathan Gadd
on May 17, 2012 at 8:18:08 pm

Thanks for the quick responses and all the help. It seems batch copy indeed works for the short-term solution and i am under a deadline, i'll definitely look into finding an alternative method that does this with a better degree of flexibility.

As for the re-import into FCP it seems i'll have to relink everything manually which indeed seems to be the proper way, i was under the assumption this was different but i was mistaken.

Thanks again,
Nathan

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on May 17, 2012 at 11:09:45 pm

If you import the XML all of your media and your timeline should come in connected and ready to go. No relinking required.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 17, 2012 at 11:28:56 pm

Yes, there is a "round trip for FCP" in the drop-down menu in the upper left corner of the Render page.

Then in Conform, click on the cut sequence and "Export" -- it will create a new XML (unlike Apple COLOR) tiled MyMovie (Resolve).xml, which you then import into your FCP master project. No waiting.... well, a few moments and yerdun.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on May 17, 2012 at 11:34:42 pm

i never used the round trip because i usually pass along the graded shots to a SMOKE or Flame , but i do have 1 question :

the xml that resolve export , does reflect exactly what is going on on the resolve timeline ? meaning that if there is a shot slipped by a frame or so (by mistake) will be slipped in the FCP reconfirm right ?

how about speed changes frame blending versus non frame blending ?
meaning : if FCP have a speed change using blending mode , resolve will apply duplicated frames (not blended) so , after the roundtrip , will FCP use the same blending Mode ?

also : does resolve pass trough all the effect that dogs not support (like special effects etc..?)

thanks
g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Colin Travers
on May 18, 2012 at 4:01:18 am

One thing to point out as I recently had this issue with an editor is that if you don't render it all at once save the project and THEN export the xml you will have problems back in FCP..my example is from a scarlett / epic job where i had two separate resolutions to render out and so i rendered individual shots or bunches switching project settings accordingly to what resolution was native for each r3d clip in the edit - huge pain but even worse was that the xml only connected to a few shots because i did not create the xml after doing one big render and save of the project before creating - i would really like to see a 'render in native resolution' option for mixed format timelines where for example an AE artist needs each full resolution plate to work with and not necessarily what the project is set to..BMD's fix for the xml was for me to just do a render at 1080 at like low debayer and then create xml just to get a working xml of the entire timeline?

DaVinci 8.2.1 beta2
OSX 10.7.4 (SSD in second optical bay)
MacPro 12-core 5,1 2.66 Ghz
32GB RAM x4 8GB
Software RAID 0 (8TB Internal)
Nvidia GT120/GTX580 (CUDA 4.2.7)
Decklink Extreme3D
FSI LM-2461W / Panny VT25
Tangent Wave / Wacom

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on May 21, 2012 at 6:06:48 am

Yes, a render in native resolution would be incredible. In our most typical workflows this is probably the biggest shortcoming we run into with Resolve.

I have a Pablo at my disposal as well for color grading and about the only time I prefer it over Resolve for color only jobs is for projects with lots of multi resolutions to it that must be run out as such. I can export out of Quantel with every clip at it's native res with one click. If BM got this down I can't figure out why I would not use Resolve all the time...

Cheers, Chris

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Sep 29, 2012 at 2:23:00 am

I join the request.. would be great to have a "render in native resolution" option. DaVinci has put so much effort to make round-tripping viable, and this is a serious hindrance for many workflows (like FCP7, VFX, and I suppose Premiere too).

Evidently nothing in that regard has changed in v9.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]