FORUMS: list search recent posts

nVidia GTX 580

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Snook
nVidia GTX 580
on May 13, 2012 at 3:56:32 pm

Can us Mac Pro users (3,1 - 4,1 - 5,1) use any GTX 580 GPU sold on say - newegg (as long as its externally powered) with the nVidia drivers successfully in Lion and have Resolve be polite? Or do we need that flashed pricy one from macvidcards?

How is the form factor? Fit nice but snug like our GTX470?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
Re: nVidia GTX 580
on May 13, 2012 at 4:27:12 pm

there is probably 30 posts about it

would be helpful to the forum use the search button instead of always open new threads on the same topic

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on May 13, 2012 at 6:35:32 pm

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on May 13, 2012 at 6:38:18 pm

Anyone up for answering the more specific question of how does someone sell a card flashed for Mac for $200 more than New Retail version of the card, if the retail card works with nVidia's Mac Drivers?

Pros, Cons?

I'd love to feel lucky like the other 29 posts that came before me that weren't told to search for a generic answer answering 1/3 of my post!

kisses

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on May 13, 2012 at 6:42:17 pm

It has been said many times in those threads :

The flashed will allow to boot OSX using that card and also use full 16x lane speed (maybe not useful in resolve )
Using the midis driver and non flashes card , there is always the risk that midis driver won't support those adds anymore ..

g

MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on May 14, 2012 at 8:49:16 pm

Whatever you do, be absolutely CERTAIN that you have enough power for a 580.

I have sold 2 of them and already someone has blown one up.

He got an entry level Cyclone chassis and used a single 6 pin power plug through splitters for both the 6 pin and 8 pin on the 580.

Result, one dead 580.

It seems they are even more sensitive to power needs then 480s, which is odd.

The cards are available from Newegg or TigerDirect or many retailers. If you don't think you need an EFI one, by all means just get a PC one.

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on May 14, 2012 at 11:28:39 pm

I mean I like the EFI features and all but the $300 extra seems just a tad steep. I have a GTX 470 that I bought from you - I'd really love to trade that back in as the 580 would be replacing it. I want to dual boot my Mac Pro (3,1) in OSX and Windows 7. Would a non EFI 580 show no screen to select the O/S when holding down alt on startup?

Is this the only tool (short of an entire PC power supply sitting next to me plugged in) capable of running the 580 (power-wise) on a Mac Pro?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=...

or is there something else?

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on May 14, 2012 at 11:38:02 pm

Just went from 200 to 300 in a few minutes huh?

Well, neither number is correct and I am not holding a gun to anyone's head to buy one.

If you use a GT120 for GUI, then you don't need to use EFI on 580, the PCIE 2.0 thing only affects high bandwidth transfers.

You would be best to just get one from Newegg if you are convinced from the get go that EFI/PCIE 2.0 is a waste of money.

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on May 14, 2012 at 11:49:46 pm

Few days actually... No I saw the clever $799 on the price tag and thought - as a consumer would of 7, vs. the $800 that it is. But anyways...

I'm not at all convinced that anything you are selling is a waste of money - i'm ignorant on the matter and am trying to learn the value of what you are offering. Basic Pro's and Cons. For the Mac side, yes I would be using the GT120 as my GUI and the 580 as the CUDA processor in resolve. However, when I boot into windows for gaming I'd obviously be using the 580 entirely and not the GT120 at all. But if I cannot boot into windows due to a black screen without the GT120 im SOL aren't I? Unless I can boot into Windows...

Trying to learn is all. If I thought it was a waste and was already convinced why would I be wasting time on here?

Trade in.

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on May 15, 2012 at 12:34:01 am

Something you need to understand about Ebay is that sellers pay commission based on FInal Value.

If I buy something for $550 and sell it on Ebay for $550 I will pay $30 or so to Ebay and then 3-4% to Paypal. So, by selling something for what it cost me I will lose around $50. I would need to sell the item for $600 to break even.

The IRS gets a cut of profit as well.

I would much rather that you bought a 580 and tried it out as is.

If you want/need the extra functionality I can offer send me the card and I will modify it.

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on May 15, 2012 at 12:36:29 am

How much for the Mod?

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on May 15, 2012 at 4:36:28 am

hi david ,
the regular (not flashed ) 580 don't require extra power right on mac pro right?

thanks

g

MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on May 15, 2012 at 5:43:37 am

gaming on grading station seems waste of money to me ;)

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on May 15, 2012 at 5:54:51 am

Hi Gabriele,

The GTX 580 (PC) version needs a 6-pin and a 8-pin power. The Mac Pro only has two 6-pin power cables for the GPUs.

You can easily just use a GTX 570 which only needs two 6-pin power cables. Pair it with a GT 120 and it gives you plenty of CUDA performance.

If you need more power, you can use Cubix with 3 NVIDIA GPUs, and a more powerful GUI card.

Regards,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on May 15, 2012 at 6:21:40 am

thanks rohit ,
i am asking because i actually have a 580 3GB ram on my resolve at home ...
i am only using the 6 pin to 8 pin adaptor that comes with the card (EVGA) and nothing more ... the system is stable ( have it since 3 weeks ) .

..and also , i removed the GT120 and the GTX580 (non flashed) it does boot OSX as well ...

i think is the 590 that require extra power ...or am i risking something here ?

PS: i have cubix , but at the office , still 3x GTX470 ...waiting for you decklink 4k and a 4k monitor to upload that cubix with with 3 new GTX (hopefully 6 series ...0

g

MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on May 15, 2012 at 7:38:08 am

You have to consider that Nvidia and AMD don't put 8 pin plugs on their cards to try to look Macho.

They put them on there because they need more power than a 6 pin can provide.

A 6 pin is specced at 75W while an 8 pin is 150 Watts. So when you use one of those adapters, you are basically DOUBLING the juice going through the wire, and the traces on your Mac Pro logic board

It will probably be fine, just like you can get away with driving 80 MPH most of the time on the freeway.

HOWEVER....sooner or later you might get a citation and sooner or later you might be doing some heavy GPU computing in a warm room with a Mac full of 12 cores, 4 drives, 4 PCIE cards and bad airflow. And then there might be a little "pop" sound followed shortly by that awful smell of burned electronics. The smell that means "something is already dead".

A Mac Pro logic board is like $1,000. An external PSU is $100. How much is a few days downtime worth while Apple puts in a new Logic Board? (But your clients will understand and wait patiently, right?) Or as Rohit notes, just use a 570 and you are within spec. There is a 2.5 GB 570...enough RAM for 4K and more speed than the 480 offered while using less power. We sell an EFI one that is fully Mac ready, or you can get a PC one and live with a few shortcomings.

I am including this picture from a 580 being killed. The guy who bought this used a few too many adapters and now the card is dead.

When I was young I had a nifty extension cord that rolled up inside a reel. I only needed to run power 6 feet so I only unrolled it that far and left the rest of the cable inside the reel. A few hours later I smelled burning plastic. The cable inside the reel had all melted together. Anytime you add wire, you are adding resistance. The electricity creates heat instead of being current available at the end of the line. The variety of adapters used here caused the 580 to die.

These are serious cards and need serious power. Trying to run the card this way is just like trying to power 17 strings of Christmas lights from the same outlet. Yes, you can buy adapters and plugs to do it, that doesn't mean you should.

The dead card has yet to return to me but I believe he killed it. It was a 3GB model. The 3GB card is going to need more juice than a 1.5GB card. (the old "no free lunch" principle). Don't try to power these cards with a string of Hinky Molex to PCIE 6 pin to PCIE 8 pin rigs. You are just going to burn something up.

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on May 15, 2012 at 7:07:53 pm

I had David P. flash my new egg EVGA GTX570 w/2.5 GB. I actually use this for resolve without a separate GUI card in a 12-core 2010 Mac Pro . I get 24fps with like 10-12 nodes with Pro Res HQ 1920x1080. Prior to the flash I got like 10-15 fps on pre-flashed card.

If you use resolve it seems to make a big diff. Power-wise it seems to run well. I'm even using a splitter for the power... a one into two... which if you don't need it then connect it the "right way". I have a Pro Tools HDX audio DSP card in the system which also requires a PCI-e power connection.

There's also an LSI dual 4gb Fibre channel and a decklink cards + 4x enterprise HDD' + 48gb ram. No issues yet.

Anyhow, the flash will run your card faster. DP is a cool dude. Use your second card in a cheap-o PC and make a resolve free DIT station.. that's what I used my old 285 for. An HPz400 can be had for under 1k.

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on May 16, 2012 at 12:13:29 am

What do you charge to flash macvidcards sir?

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on May 19, 2012 at 7:38:57 am

It's $100.

If it is a card I have done before it goes rather quickly.

If it isn't, it might take me a day extra to write a custom firmware.

The 10.7.4 update drivers taught me something and I am now offering cards that do NOT need AGPM removed. All previous cards required this, but I have gained a better insight into how 10.8 works and have included this in roms starting today.

If you need the power cables for Mac Pro I charge $10/ea for them. If you want the DP to MDP adapter it is $15. (let's you run Apple MDP 24" and 27", crucial for Premiere)

Since the card has to be disassembled for the EEPROM chip replacement, if it is old & dirty it gets cleaned, etc. Thermal pastes refreshed before reassembly. Card is then tested in a 4.1/5,1

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on May 19, 2012 at 2:46:11 pm

Very cool and fair. How do you take in requests normally? I can't imagine random cow posts that you may or may not read is the best way of requesting service on a card from you, is it?

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on May 23, 2012 at 12:21:17 am

Hi David,

I too am curious about having my recently purchased GTX 570 flashed. There isn't really any kind of contact info on MacVidCards.com, so I guess this forum could work.

Also, and I understand if this isn't something you could or should answer, would flashing affect After Effects CS6 support (or lack thereof)? I'm thinking it wouldn't, but it would be nice to know. Working in Windows is definitely nostalgic, but can be a little frustrating at times.

Please let me know the best way to contact you.

Thanks!

-Graham

OSX 10.7.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 32 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 23, 2012 at 1:17:41 am

I don't think David's efi affects this but in os x you can add the gtx580 to the CUDA capable card list there by allowing you to use it. I did this with a gtx480 David flashed and it works great.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Graham Hutchins
on May 23, 2012 at 4:14:46 am

Just got this issue resolved in another thread. Worked like a champ. Thanks for the response.

Since you've done business with them before, any way to post an email address so I can contact them?

It's so weird that for a business that does so much of their business online, they're so difficult to contact.

Thanks again.

-Graham

OSX 10.7.4, Windows 7
Adobe CS6
FC Studio 3
Octo 2.26GB MacPro, 32 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Ryan Snook
on May 23, 2012 at 10:39:38 am

If you are using the web site you found for them... yeah.

Contact him using his eBay profile.

http://myworld.ebay.com/macvidcards/

Good luck.

Return to posts index

David Pirinelli
on May 24, 2012 at 2:56:04 am

that works or

directly at dpart2

at mac dot com

Return to posts index

Adrian Thompson
on May 31, 2012 at 6:23:49 pm

You Sir, are awesome. I had to create an account just to thank you!

I've been researching for the past few days for a video card upgrade and was upset that the Quadro 4000 was one of my only options. I will be ordering one of your GTX 570's!

Only question, is it possible / wise to run it with the standard GT120 or should I do a replace?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]