FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 motion tab and PTZR settings in Resolve 8.1/8.2

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Pilgrim
FCP7 motion tab and PTZR settings in Resolve 8.1/8.2
on May 8, 2012 at 11:29:33 pm

As Alexis Van Hurkman and others have noted, starting with Resolve 8.1, "transforms from Final Cut Pro (Position, Rotation, Scale) are now imported from XML projects, allowing you to render these effects using Resolveā€™s superior transform algorithms." That's clearly awesome.

In the Resolve 8.2 "Load XML" dialog box, there is now a check box for "Use Sizing Information".
But that option is not present in the screen shot of the "Load XML" dialog in the current (Summer 2011) manual.

Secondly, settings from my clips' FCP7 motion tab seem to be being processed and rendered by Resolve, BUT those settings from FCP (seemingly)aren't present in Resolve's Input Transform and Output Transform tabs in the Format window.

My question is: Does anyone have DOCUMENTATION on how Resolve is processing FCP motion tab settings, exactly how Load XML's "Use Sizing Information" setting functions, how (if at all) the original motion tab settings can be viewed and edited in Resolve, etc, etc?

I've read the fine manual, but maybe I missed something or maybe there's newer documentation.

Thanks,
John

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: FCP7 motion tab and PTZR settings in Resolve 8.1/8.2
on May 9, 2012 at 12:47:15 am

The ptzr settings are in the format tab. The keyframing is in the color tab.

Documentation can be found in chapter 12 for the format menu & in chapter 9 under dynamics for keyframing.

Online Editor | Colorist | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

John Pilgrim
on May 9, 2012 at 1:09:47 am

Thanks Juan, but I'm not sure you understood my post.

None of the settings in the FCP motion tab are visible in Resolve where you referred me or anyplace else that I can find. The screen shot below is for the same clip, starting in FCP and conformed in Resolve, having selected "Use Sizing Information" in the Resolve "Load XML" dialog.

The manual is Summer 2011 (support page says 10 Feb 2012) but the software is 05 March 2012, hence my request for any documentation of the new changed features.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 9, 2012 at 1:37:56 am

I'm away from my system so I can't check but it seems as if you're in track mode. The setting would be applied to the clip. You are seeing the correct sizing on the image, yes?

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on May 9, 2012 at 1:38:07 am

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that the changes are made in Resolve, they are not "technically" editable as you would imagine coming from FCP.

I'm pretty sure that though the changes are visible in the Resolve timeline, they are not represented in the format tab unless the changes are actually made in Resolve.

This is similar to any Opacity adjustments made in FCP, they are visible in Resolve, but they can not be edited in Resolve.

Is that what you meant?

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong, It's been some time since I've done this.

Return to posts index

John Pilgrim
on May 9, 2012 at 2:14:47 am

Eric,

I guess my main question is "Are the FCP motion tab settings (that come over in the XML) viewable numerically anywhere in the Resolve UI, or are they kept behind the scenes and applied in the viewer and during render?

Secondly, what is the order of operations: are the FCP settings applied before or after the Resolve Format tab settings? (I guess I could test this myself with some translation and rotations in FCP and in Resolve, but I'm interested in gathering the wisdom here.)

John

Return to posts index

John Pilgrim
on May 9, 2012 at 2:39:35 am

Juan,
The screen shots show both the Resolve clip (input transform) and track modes (output transform) modes.
Neither shows the FCP transforms.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 9, 2012 at 2:44:41 am

Interesting. Perhaps it is as Eric suggested. The PTZ gets applied invisibly. I'm just speculating. Will have to check it out while I'm at my system. Obviously this hasn't come up for me.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on May 9, 2012 at 3:59:35 am

The FCP7 sizing is treated as dark metadata in Resolve. The main reason is that those controls don't map one-to-one with our controls.

The only control you have in Resolve is to switch off them globally when importing the XML, or on a clip by clip basis in the color page thumbnail context menu.

Regards,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Dean Manion
on May 9, 2012 at 4:55:25 am

dark metadata
That gives me chills.
It's awesome.
Thank you for that, Rohit. Really.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>