FORUMS: list search recent posts

sRGB LUT

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Ball
sRGB LUT
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:16:06 am

I just finished a commercial graded with Resolve and DreamColor monitor set to Rec709. I graded one version for broadcast and now need a version for web. Since web is sRGB and quite different from Rec709 I thought it would be easiest to add a track node in Resolve with a sRGB LUT to change the Rec709 to sRGB.
Is this the best way to do this? Is there somewhere I can download a reliable sRGB LUT?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: sRGB LUT
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:30:31 am

I actually recommend staying 709. Many compression apps will do the appropriate colorspace conversion for you. Additionally there are many issues with proper colorspace handling with various qt codec.

I'll share with you one of my secrets, discovered through tons of trial and error. For best color handling in an h264 file & amazing quality. I use a ProRes HQ source, and run it through the latest version of Handbrake. It's x264 encoder is actually insanely good, and it takes care of the color matrix for you, and does so perfectly. (I should say, I'm doing it on a Mac. Not sure about the pc version)

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:18:43 am

I second this..
And get yourself a Vimeo account, YouTube and one more and do the upload yourself.
Compare the display of several computers showing it and decide if you need to compensate by hand.
It's like mixing sound in the studio and listening to it in you car radio :)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Apr 27, 2012 at 6:56:41 am

isn't Rec 709 specs extremely close to sRGB specs ????

g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:10:16 am

Yep. Same primaries and wp only difference is sRGB has a defined gamma.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Apr 27, 2012 at 7:12:17 am

Primaries are the same, transfer curve is different.

Also, and this is very important to note, rec.709 is a camera transfer curve. It's used for encoding values in a camera, not for displays. HD broadcast displays typically use a more or less pure gamma 2.4 transfer curve (and rec.709 primaries when displaying an HD image). sRGB is a bit more complex, being on average about gamma 2.2, but with a linear segment at the bottom, and something approaching gamma 2.4 in the highlights.

But, people here are right, most players/plugins will take care of the transfer curve conversion, and expect video to be encoded as if it were for broadcast.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

dermot shane
on Apr 30, 2012 at 4:56:47 am

Your DreamColor does have a sRGB preset, just above 709... it's set at 250cdm tho.. bring sunglasses

Return to posts index

Jamie LeJeune
on Feb 26, 2014 at 1:25:19 am

Thank you for the tip Juan. When you export from Resolve as ProRes HQ, are setting it to video levels or data levels? I'm guessing data. Or, does Handbrake also expand video levels out to data levels in the conversion, in addition to the gamma and color matrix conversion?
And, is it really doing a proper 2.4 to 2.2 gamma conversion?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Feb 26, 2014 at 4:27:34 am

Out of resolve leave the levels on auto. As far as gamma, 2.2 is assumed. If you work 2.4 you'll probably want to compensate accordingly.

http://theColourSpace.com

Return to posts index

Jamie LeJeune
on Feb 26, 2014 at 6:45:27 am

Many many thanks Juan! My main deliverables are DVD/BluRay/HDCAM-SR and the advice I got was to monitor at 2.4. Would you advise otherwise?
Any adivice on how to create or find an output LUT to get from 2.2 to 2.4?

Return to posts index

ergin ozturk
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:18:10 pm

i have the same issue.
i am about the finish music video mainly for broadcast. But it will be published web also.
i have HP dream color and set to REC 709. But it seems 709 is darker (especially in lows) than sRGB. For example if i look tha footage in sRGB i can see some details in shadows but in REC709 it is not possible.
if i arrange my footage according to REC709 then i need to "brighten" the lows. But if i arrange to sRGB i can keep it like that but in that case it may be "dark in TV".

any suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]