FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tangent Element tested - Clumsy DaVinci mapping

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Erard
Tangent Element tested - Clumsy DaVinci mapping
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:11:48 pm

Hello,

I got my Tangent Element today and tested it.

Good points :
-Very well built and very solid. Balls and wheels are really smooth like others buttons and knobs.
- Small enough to stay on my desk without "over-load" my desk.
- Reaction time between DaVinci and Tangent Element seems to be more direct than with Tangent Wave.
- Easy to be precise with knobs for Qualifier.

Bad point :
- The mapping made by DaVinci isn't good enough. We need to be able to map ourself.
- No Save and Load memories. It means, we need the mouse.
- No copy past buttons.
- The mapping of Transport Pannel is horrible, not intuitive at all.

Morality : The Tangent Element is well build, but the mapping of DaVinci reduce the "quality" of this panel. I used an Ipad with Tangent Wave before, and to be honest... I had more options on my Ipad than on the Element.

Best

Robin

réalisateur, scénariste, monteur, étalonneur
http://www.robinerard.ch

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
Re: Tangent Element tested - Clumsy DaVinci mapping
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:25:15 pm

Can i purché se only 2 modules AND not all of Them ?
Will it work ?
(it's for home, and I need only knobs and trackballs )

Thanks

g

Davinci Resolve Control Surface
MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:30:26 pm

You can purchase the modules separately, I don't know if it will work.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:50:49 pm

After watching the video you posted, Gabriel, I decided to get the balls only.
it seems you really need the buttons too if you want to use the knobs without using the pen.
So if I have to click on something first to be able to use the knobs...I dont know.
Mapping wise I disagree, I dont want to program anything.
I want to develop some muscle memory and be able to use this set of panels (s, plural) anywhere without uploading my personal setting first.
So I think it would be great to make a list for BMD and tell them which vital functions are missing.
There are enough buttons on this thing...lets use them :)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

David Mclaren
on May 4, 2012 at 10:19:21 pm

I know that BlackMagic do look at these forums so could I sudgest we put up a new thread were we sudgest a list for Blackmagic to include. The wave mappings are good now but originaly were tidious without the power menu. Personally my two biggest requests are "outside node" and Primary tweaks via nobs for RGB Lift Gamma Gain. Like on the big panels for those finer tweaks. If you want a perticular function put like it that way BM can easily respond.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:25:29 pm

I've got a tangent wave I'd be happy to trade with you. ;-)

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:48:10 pm

i think there was 2 modules you had to get to work and later add 2 more but i'm not sure
how did they have to be paired.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.3
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:54:41 pm

For me is for home only (I have the resole panel as well)
So If anyone could be kind enough to unplug the transport panel (and the buttons one as well )and see if it works ,
Would be great

Thanks a lot

G

MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Apr 26, 2012 at 8:50:15 pm

Just tested this...

The Tk (trackerballs) work without any other panels plugged in. The Mf (multifunction/transport) panel works without any other panels plugged in. The Bt (buttons) work without any other panel but without the Kb (knobs) you don't have control of many or most of the functions... and the Kb can function without any other panels, but you have to step through the menus one at a time (like the wave) because the shortcuts are all the the Bt.

So it seems like they do work all independently, but I would imagine it would be extremely frustrating to split up the Kb and Bt, since the controls are spread across the two and change in context to one another...

As far the mapping, there are some definite missing key pieces... I couple the element with a G13, which I've now remapped a number of things to the G13 which I think are critical or should be "one-touch." Big ones include: "add serial + PCW" "add serial +CPW," "add outside node" and "b/w highlight" "All/Color/PTZR" and all the six-vectors...

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Gabriele Turchi
on Apr 26, 2012 at 8:52:15 pm

Thanks for testing it Kevin !
g

MacPro
Cubix desktop 4
2 Red Rockets
GTX470+GTX470+GTX470
24GB RAM
HP Dreamcolor
Panasonic 58PF Plasma
Ultrascope

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 26, 2012 at 8:57:40 pm

perfect Kevin, that's the info I was hoping for.
And yeah, as i thought, Kb and Bt only make sense together.
What about bidirectional functionality ?
Does Resolve change the interface if you go to the qualifier for example ?

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:06:33 pm

Yes (and no). It selects the right page and tab for me when I go to sizing/primary/offset/qualifier/window or 3D, but strangely does not when I shortcut to blur or key. I'm still on 8.2 so perhaps somebody with the beta can see if that has improved...

Also, in case anyone from BM is in on this thread, my "ref mode" button seems to have no effect, but the keyboard shortcut for "ref mode" does... the diagnostic mode on the panel indicates down/up correctly...

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 26, 2012 at 8:14:15 pm

Agreed! Now please send this text to tangent and BMD.

Return to posts index

Chris Rose
on Apr 26, 2012 at 8:54:54 pm

Just to clarify:

If you by the Kb (knob panel) to use with Resolve then you will need to buy the Bt (button panel) as well. You need the Bt to switch between modes on the Kb.

As far as I know you can use the Tk and Mf panels on their own with Resolve.

Return to posts index

James Sullivan
on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:29:19 pm

So if I have a full set of panels are the six way vectors mapped across the knobs once you tab into that section? Or can you not map the six way vector on any other panel then the full set of Resolve panels. I use a wheel chair and cannot get under the full set as they are too fat. I was hoping the mapping for the element series would be good. I still think it would be nice to remap each panel.

James

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:57:11 am

[Chris Rose] "Just to clarify:

If you by the Kb (knob panel) to use with Resolve then you will need to buy the Bt (button panel) as well. You need the Bt to switch between modes on the Kb.
"

I guess I need to edit my previous comment that the Kb could switch menus and forth without the Bt... I may have "activated" it by using a shortcut while the Bt was plugged in, and then it continued to work after the Bt was unplugged... I'm not sure that you would get anything if you started it up without the Bt...

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Robin Erard
on Apr 26, 2012 at 9:48:47 pm

Hello,

Here is the answer I got from DaVinci:

Hi Robin,

We can’t comment on future software features, so I don’t know if we might change the current mapping or not.

In the 26 years that I’ve been with DaVinci, we’ve always had requests for custom panel mapping. So far, that has never happened. So if I had to guess, I would guess that it’s not likely to happen now, or anytime soon. But I don’t make or control those decisions, so who knows what might happen in the future?

I’ve forwarded your comments to the product manager for his consideration.

Thanks for the feedback!

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:53:19 am

Thank you Robin for the feedback on the Element panel. It does look like a nice panel, but that is unfortunate that Blackmagic did not map the commands very well. I really do hope that they can improve it. I don't understand why all this great customer feedback gets lost so often. While they do make some good improvements to the software, why do they not fix these small things that would make the software truly a great experience for the user. I think listening to your customers is something that really makes companies great.

It is too bad that the less than ideal mapping is limiting what looks like a great board.

Blackmagic, can you listen to the suggestions and make the mapping better? It should not require that much time? Can you also please add support for the Tangent CP100 panel. I would think the programming should not be too much different than the Element panel. Your paying customers would really appreciate it.

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Michael Cinquin
on Apr 27, 2012 at 8:06:03 am

you can count me in those hoping for a better support of the Element. It is disappointing, isn't it ?
Custom mapping or proper mapping, either will do.

Michael Cinquin

Final Cut Pro - Avid Media Composer editor
DaVinci - Color - Baselight colorist
Color profiles for Color
http://www.michaelcinquin.com/tools : tools for FCP | Color | RED | subtitles | Cinema Tools | Timecode - Keycode calculator

Return to posts index

Robin Erard
on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:23:52 am

Oui, je suis un peu déçu. Pas au niveau de la Tangent, car c'est vraiment du bon matériel et solide. Mais le mapping est vraiment foireux. Tu l'as aussi achetée ? Je pensais pouvoir me passer de l'IPAD mais je vais le garder un moment il me sera utile pour le chargement des mémoires et l'ajout du "Outside Node" qui n'est pas mappé... no comment.

C'est fou ça, pourquoi faire un si bon software et ne pas donner la possibilité de faire le mapping comme on le souhaite ? J'imagine que c'est pour promouvoir la DaVinci pannel.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Apr 27, 2012 at 10:19:57 am

Ganz genau ;)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 1, 2012 at 1:30:27 am

[Robin Erard] "Morality : The Tangent Element is well build, but the mapping of DaVinci reduce the "quality" of this panel. I used an Ipad with Tangent Wave before, and to be honest... I had more options on my Ipad than on the Element."

Gotta say I agree. Element feels so nice and smooth, but the layout of the controls on the Wave are actually faster to use. Hopefully we'll be able to map the Element panels ourselves sometime soon. They are just so freakin' sweet I LOVE them!

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on May 1, 2012 at 9:13:55 am

I am just getting balls for now...nothing to map there and versatile for all sort of apps.
Transport is much faster with the pen anyway.
Knobs would be sweet but if you need the buttons to get to them...not so cool.
Question..
Will the knobs actually follow the interface ?
Lets say you select the keyer, will the knobs panel show those controls ?
Or pan and scan ?
I have no probs selecting them with the pen, but adjustments should be done without looking up and down.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor

Return to posts index

Robin Erard
on May 1, 2012 at 5:46:21 pm

Hello,

No, Knobs doesn't follow the interface. In the other way it works, if you press "Qualifer" on the Tangent it will jump to Qualifer on the interface... but this doesn't work for "Key Tab".. strange.

Agree with Walter, hope they will accept a user mapping soon.

Best

Robin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 2, 2012 at 1:25:09 am

[Robin Erard] "No, Knobs doesn't follow the interface. In the other way it works, if you press "Qualifer" on the Tangent it will jump to Qualifer on the interface... but this doesn't work for "Key Tab".. strange."

Key tab didn't work? Hmmm, I thought it did for me.

I ran into an issue today actually where the panel driver kept crashing the app. Suddenly the app would stop, the panels stopped responding. Trying to figure it out with BlackMagc and Tangent right now.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 2, 2012 at 1:23:04 am

[Sascha Haber] "Will the knobs actually follow the interface ?
Lets say you select the keyer, will the knobs panel show those controls ?
Or pan and scan ?
I have no probs selecting them with the pen, but adjustments should be done without looking up and down.
"

Yep, the panels follow along and actually you can drive the interface from the panels. That is select the HSL Qualifiers, the Keyer, etc....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on May 2, 2012 at 6:37:05 am

Now we have two very different descriptions.
I guess i need to go to a local dealer and see for myself...hands-on rules anyway :)

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor

Return to posts index

Lee Niederkofler
on May 4, 2012 at 10:10:49 am

Primary, HSL, Window and Sizing works so you jump right to the menu when you press one of the buttons
Soft Clip, Blur, Curves and Key tap dont work so Resolve doesnt jump to the right menu when you press those buttons

Yes please BMD let us remap the panels!

lee

Return to posts index

Robin Erard
on May 4, 2012 at 1:30:36 pm

Oh yess !

Return to posts index

David Mclaren
on Jun 8, 2012 at 10:33:48 am

Guys can I suggest that you put your idea straight to Blackmagic through there suport site:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/developer/

The more people send in their request the more likely they will takle the problem.

Cheers

Done mine.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Jun 8, 2012 at 11:26:07 pm

done! I asked for the option for custom mapping as well. If we could just do custom mapping from the raw panel data, maybe we could use other older panels as well.

Return to posts index

Philipp Meier
on Aug 6, 2012 at 11:14:05 pm

I just send the developer team the following email:
--------

To Whom It May Concern:

First of all: congratulations on a stellar beta release of Resolve 9. It's such a pleasure to work with!

Secondly, I was wondering if you are planning any upcoming improvements to the Tangent Element control surface mapping. The current implementation is rather clumsy. It requires too much menu switching (overlay mode, for example, needs to be accessible from the root menu, not just the qualifier menu) and there are plenty of unmapped buttons/knobs to take advantage of.

Furthermore, new Resolve functionailty such as the s-log mode isn't supported at all (okay you can manually mouse click Resolve into s-log mode and at least use the three color wheels, but we really should be able to tap into s-log mode and have control of all 4 wheels as well as the advanced controls such as pivot, etc...)

A user customizable set-up may be the preferred solution. However, if this is not possible at the moment the built in mapping should at least show as much consideration and polish as the reaming functionality of Resolve 9.

I'm hoping the reason for the current (limited) implementation of the Tangent Element mapping isn't political and that we can expect improvements in this area as the Resolve Beta evolves.

I'm looking forward to your insight.

Sincerely,

Philipp

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Aug 7, 2012 at 12:57:53 am

Great letter Philipp.

I hope they listen to their customers and improve the implementation.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Aug 7, 2012 at 2:06:43 am

Just an observation.
I have been testing the use of Adobe Speed Grade with Tangent Wave. One of the most shocking revelations to me was that what I thought to be a technical limitation of tangent wave is not at all. I am talking about GUI driving the panel. And panel driving the GUI completely. To clarify: whenever you click with a pen or a mouse on any part of the SG interface that can be controlled by a panel the panel responds and stats the control and displays maps that would work in the current tab/room.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]