FORUMS: list search recent posts

5k Epic > 2K output?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew smith
5k Epic > 2K output?
on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:01:22 pm

I have an Red Epic job with all but one shot being 5120x2700 and then one shot that is 2048x2700.

The director wants to render out at 2K and I just did a very quick test with the default 2k output setting in the config tab - obviously its probably not what I want to do but wanted to just get some advice before fiddling further and wasting any time. I believe he plans to have some letterboxing at 1.85? Not totally sure but will obviously discuss further when possible but want to know what to suggest for best output.

thank you
andrew

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: 5k Epic > 2K output?
on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:20:36 pm

Set your project setting to what your output should be. Then adjust PTZ to fit as desired.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:06:33 pm

Thank you for the reply Juan!

I guess i am still confused about this as I am not sure exactly what 2K resolution to output to and also I always grade at 1080 and output in that resolution to a dreamcolor and plasma so i am curious to know how I will do PTZ adjustments correctly? Sorry for my lack of understanding on this, any help or further explanation would be great.

Return to posts index

Ola Haldor Voll
on Apr 27, 2012 at 2:58:00 pm

If your timeline is, say, 2048x857, and you set monitor output to 1920x1080 - you will have black letterboxing. PTZR as normal.

When you get to rendering, double check the frame size of the timeline and rendering is the same, unless you want letterboxing. Consult with the DCP guy. He/she should be able to help you with this.

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on May 3, 2012 at 5:18:04 am

Still trying to figure this out in terms of what to grade at - 1080p video output sdi but set the project to 2k film and render at that resolution?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on May 3, 2012 at 5:28:57 am

Render to your target frame size. The video out will scale as needed.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on May 5, 2012 at 4:07:17 pm

I appreciate the responses i guess i just cannot wrap my head around this. Please any further break down or explanation would be really helpful.

Return to posts index

brandon thomas
on May 9, 2012 at 5:08:11 pm

Set up your project at 1080.
Grade/PTZR as if you're delivering 1080.
When you're finished, save a copy of your project.
Change the timeline format/resolution from 1080 to match your output requirements.
Render/Deliver.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]